Bluetooth iphone-mac pairing problem!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by myemaildw, Jul 23, 2008.

1. myemaildw macrumors regular

Can't pair iphone to my mac via bluetooth. I get a message: necessary services were not found. Any ideas?
    Anybody else experiencing the same problem?

2. 123walter macrumors member

123walter

Bluetooth

You can add these to the list
    Plantronix and Motorola HS 850. So far nothing. I also tried to access my MBPro with the phone and it "saw" it but gave similar message. Funny thing is my old Nokia(nTelos) could pair with a tincan telephone. ANYTHING. Also had remarkable connections. Everybody dogs Nokia but Im starting to wonder.....was I dazzled by the iphone?Hmm. I wunder. I also cant get my pop3 set up. Oh well I wont give up. Never do.

I take it back on the Moto.It just worked! Go figger? Anyway I dug out the manual.(whats that?) and followed directions TO THE LETTER. Anyway Id rather use the Plantronix but Ive always had problems with that expensive thing.

3. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

That's because Apple retarded the bluetooth functionality to only be able to pair the iphone with their own bluetooth mono headset, and nothing else. It's only one of a hundred ways they've restricted the functionality of the most potentially useful device ever, down to near-dumbterminal level.

For a while, we thought they were waiting for enough people to complain about all the missing functionality to add it, but they just ignored the complaints anyway, and built whatever the hell they wanted to instead with no regard for what their customers wanted.

The widespread disgruntlement is why hackers came up with the Jailbreak, installer, 3rd party programs, and the rest. To date, there's only been minimal progress into hacking the bluetooth stack. Time will tell what 2.0 and the pwnage project bring.

4. Jshwon macrumors 6502

Jshwon

What exactly can you do with your iphone connected to your mac via bluetooth?

5. myemaildw thread starter macrumors regular

That's probably answers the question to the full. I think apple should fix this problem with iphone bluetooth so that I could browse my iphone files. If we are talking about this, Apple should also allow iphone show up as a drive under My Computer directory (like iPod. My iPhone photo 60GB shows up as a drive, and I backup my files there).
    I was able however to pair iPhone via my Wi-Fi to my computer through SSH, worked like a charm for me. Here's the link How to if anybody else interested http://justanotheriphoneblog.com/wordpress/2008/04/01/how-to-connect-to-your-iphone-via-ssh/
    The only thing is that whatever megabites is transfered, it's added to your internet traffic counter. It's alright for small files like 10MB and less. But it's very heavy on video files. Wi-Fi (300-700kb/s) is faster than bluetooth. I transfered one video file 425MB to iphone through wifi and i don't feel like transfering another one.

6. myemaildw thread starter macrumors regular

I can see my iphone when I try to set up new bluetooth device. It shows up as a "Smartphone". I double click it and it tells me that "There were no configurable services found on your device". And at the end the bluetooth setup assistant quits. My iphone at the same time is searching but never finds any bluetooth device.
    Look at the screenshots

Just a side note, my cheap Sony Ericsson pairs with my MacBook without any hassle.

Attached Files:

7. Jshwon macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Yeah, I understand your issue. I guess I was asking what would you be able to do "if" the iphone was connected via bluetooth to the Mac. With there not being any "disk mode" like there is with the ipods I was curious why one would even need to connect it to the Mac. Was hoping I was missing out on something. In fact I think that is what the BT assistant is telling you. In short "There are no BT services that work with the iphone"

8. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

Eh? I've paired three different non-Apple bt headsets with my iPhone, as well as my car stereo (Pioneer).

9. jdec141 macrumors newbie

my parrot 3100 car kit paired better with the iphone than with any other phone i've had since i purchased it(automatic syncing). I didn't even have to enter the pairing code the iphone already knew it. my motorola 850 headset was just as easy.

10. GRN99EX macrumors member

I paired my jawbone headset in about 15 seconds as well. Works perfectly! I think the issue has more to do with the fact that AT&T doesn't want people tethering their iPhone to their Mac/PC. There are some tutorials about how to get around it online, but you may get slapped with big data usage charges.

11. myemaildw thread starter macrumors regular

If my iphone was connected via bluetooth to my mac I would have been able to brows iphone folders and transfer files back and forth mac<->iphone. In particular i wanted to save shelves theme http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16782819 by Spargett for SummerBoard, which didn't come in installer.

12. 123walter macrumors member

123walter

Pairing all now

I dont think I understood the way the iphone was utilizing this stuf. In the past with my Nooky phone...I could actally hear when I dialed, etc. t seemed to stay on. And I had an icon on the scren that showed headphones. I am using the Plantronix(Looks like lipstick tupe, cant find # or manual) and the aforementioned Motoroloa. OK heres what it is. I hold down the button on either one, only ONE can be paired. Then I go into the BT setup and watch the little spinner, saying discorverable etc. Eventually it will say..paired. But the hurricane will still be "looking" I ignore this, make call, a dialogue box comes up with three choices...#1 Name of Bluetooth ie Motorola..#2 iPhone and #3 says spkrphone. I it the choice I want and I hear noise in my ear. When I hang up..I am unhooked(unconnected, but not unpaired) If I were to go back to Blutooth setup, I would see the little "spinner" spinning its heart out. Soooo when you receive a call, you also get the three choices. It works really. Im not techno expert. I deliver pizzas. But Im hardheaded, and cmputers are my love/hobby. Im sure most of you are smarter than I am.haha. It can be done, its just not what we were expecting to see I think.

13. 123walter macrumors member

123walter

Connect during call

I think I havereally solved it. At first I was totally perplexed. But I finally managed to get a "pair" with my moto and my plantronix. I got a call an d clicked on the "audio" button during the call, clicked button on earphne(which normally disconnects) then I got a dialogue box showing three choices. Iphone, Plantronix6XX, and spkrphone. I tapped Plant6XX and I heard my wife on the earphone. She said the swicth was seamless! Its just dif than my Nokia. That would show an icon (earphones) all the time and I could actally hear the dialing, of course it was also somewhat of a hassle because it would stay connected and if you tried to just use the reg phone you had to disconnect eaphone and it would "fight" me, and try to stay connected. I think its just not what we expect.

14. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

OK, for some reason the phone people don't want you to tether your iPhone to your laptop. But wouldn't it be fair to at least let people put documents onto the phone and be able to send them as attachments, and vice versa grab documents off the phone and edit them on their laptops - very useful when travelling.

Why not put tethering on the business tariff as a bolt-on (O2) option if nowhere else?

I am starting to wonder how such restrictions can be placed on the iPhone when people pay a lot of money and can't do the same things they could with other phones.

One glimmer of light is the FileMagnet App whose developers promise that they are working on being able to send files as attachments, but have hurdles to overcome.

Apple your restrictions will do one of two things: (1) turn people away from the iPhone, (2) force them into the seedy and unpredictable world of jailbreaking. At the moment I am the former.

15. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

The reasons behind the Bluetooth restriction are clearly twofold: 1. to stop tethering, and 2. to stop sending music and apps to other Bluetooth-enabled devices, like I did with my Treo, and many other people do with every other phone.

It sucks, but for me, it's not enough for me to consider jailbreaking. YMMV

16. grumps macrumors newbie

What use Bluetooth between iPhone and MB?!

Well the obvious thing would be to use it as a Bluetooth modem.

Given that I understand that the data plan on AT&T is unlimited I guess that is why they didn't want to be able to Bluetooth MB to iPhone.

But for those of us who are in countries with a limited data plan it would be useful to use occasionally as a modem. I've postpaid 700MB per month on my Optus plan which would be fine for checking email etc etc (which of course I can do on the phone) but it would be useful to be able to use my MB too....

17. theodore69 macrumors newbie

jshwon

Computer-to-Bluetooth-to-cell uploads via GPRS are very important to me.
    I'm one of thousands of photojournalists that rely on this type of connectivity
    to upload images in a timely manner to meet newspaper and magazine deadlines.

It seems to me that this whole 3G deal has been designed for "kids" and their games.

I can't get this iPhone to connect to General Packet Radio Service via Bluetooth over Fido/Rogers network in Canada.

Very disappointed...it's not often that I get ripped off...or feel ripped off.

This whole Apple/Provider deal is nothing more than the classic "bait and switch"...which I thought was outlawed in both Canada and US years ago.

I signed on for a). 3G b). Bluetooth connectivity to my Mac or PC.

I'm not getting the service that was promised to me.

Sorry Jshwon...but if you bought the phone to see what the temperature is
    in Florida, or how to upload your latest ringtone to buddy in Tuktoyuktuk, I feel for ya!

There's more to this Bluetooth thing than meets the eye of the average consumer.

18. theodore69 macrumors newbie

Bluetooth and Tethering

BTW: I understand there're a couple of "Apps" out there for tethering to the iPhone. Well, I thought I got rid of tethering back in the Neanderthal age.

I used to tether to a Nokia 6135...or something like that. The connection was...
    no kidding...9600 bauds.

My eyes lit up when I could tether to newer cells at 56.6.
    this is 2008 and the iPhone wants to takes us out of the 21st century and drop us back to the 20th century.

From now on you can reply to me as Ol' Crankypants in Canada!

19. bella777 macrumors newbie

Pairing HELP for iphone & bluetooth devices

I read many comments of issues pairing an iphone with bluetooth devices and wanted to offer my help to anyone who has a handsfree device as I do. I bought an iphone 3G last week after a couple of years with a problem-free HTC touch. I was impressed at how easy it was to pair the new iphone to my 3-year old bluetooth device. (Every website I went to stated it would NOT be compatible, but guess what...they are wrong!) My bluetooth is a speaker-phone type that we attach to a sun visor and provides very clear conversation quality and cost me $70. (Brand Bluetooth, Blue-Cell Model: BH52). Pairing was so easy: ON the iphone: go to settings, general, bluetooth and make sure it is set to ''OFF''....Then, on the handsfree device, Press & HOLD down the power button until the blue light stops flashing and stays lit solid. NEXT, back to the iphone, set the bluetooth setting to ON. It will detect the BH52, mention it in the list, and we tap on it to select it. Iphone then asks for its password 0000....(4 zeros seems to be the usual default for many bluetooth devices) and the pairing completes within seconds! Friends of mine with bluetooth devices different from mine found that this pairing method worked for them too!
    Good luck to all!:)