Bluetooth - is this normal?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by porcupine8, Apr 4, 2011.

1. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I have a pretty ghetto phone, but it does take photos and can easily send them to my laptop or desktop via Bluetooth.

I turned on BT on my iPad, waited til it said it was discoverable, and tried it - but the phone couldn't find it, after several tries.

I'm guessing apple has locked down the BT so that only certain devices (eg keyboards) can connect? I was hoping for an easier way to get photos onto the iPad than going through a computer + dropbox, am I out of luck?

(It is a 2, so yes it does have a camera, but I was actually trying to get pics of the iPad itself!)

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Not possible to sync via Bluetooth, even just photos. Sorry ><

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Can your phone use any Bluetooth keyboard (and all Bluetooth devices) are has the manufacture "locked it down" too?:eek:

4. porcupine8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My phone can only send via BT, not receive anything, and I don't think that restriction has to do with anyone locking anything down so much as the simple capabilities of the phone. Like I said, it's really old and I'm amazed it can even do that much.

The iPad has much wider capabilities, and I doubt that there is a hardware reason for not allowing the transfer of photo files to your photo folder via BT. At some point apple had to say "we don't want people doing this, so we won't allow it." Now, they may have had very good reasons for this (potential virus transfer, etc) or very bad reasons ( trying to sell more camera connect kits), but either way it's a decision they made.

I'm as big an apple fangirl as you'll find, but I'm well aware that they make decisions, particularly on iOS devices, that limit your use beyond the hardware limitations.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So how do you use a BT headset if you can't talk (receive) on it?:confused:

6. porcupine8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

IDK, I've never tried. Maybe it can do that?