Bluetooth isn't turning off or responding to devices.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jay9, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Jay9 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've had this problem reoccur for some time now. I have a 15inch Macbook Pro with retina display. Basically after using my bluetooth devices and putting my Mac to sleep (without turning bluetooth off), once every so often the bluetooth icon wouldn't respond at all, neither would any of the devices. I usually resolved this with a quick restart however this time, even that doesn't help. I've read up on this topic but I never found this exact problem, usually people suggest a restart or deleting the blued.plst from /var/.../Preferences and this didn't solve the problem either.

Anyone know any other possible solutions?

Cheers

2. Jay9 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

On a much older Macbook Pro, I had a weird issue where my Bluetooth would completely drop out - the Bluetooth logo would get a weird jagged line through it and the device didn't recognize any Bluetooth capabilities in the System Profiler. The solution wasn't to reboot, but to do a full system shutdown. Wait a few seconds, then power it back up.

Another popular suggestion for issues like these is to do a SMC reset or NVRAM (used to be PRAM) reset. I don't think the NVRAM reset would do anything, but hey - it's worth a try.

You should still be under warranty. If this issue is happening frequently and/or seems to be getting worse, I'd bring it in to Apple when it's misbehaving to have them swap out your motherboard.

4. Jay9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that but unfortunately it didn't help. The jagged line you're talking about, I had it for a brief while but that disappeared after a while. It's also worth noting that "blued" doesn't appear at all in the activity monitor.