Bluetooth issue

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Solymar, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Solymar macrumors newbie

Hi all. Hope you can help me out. Not sure if this is an iPhone 6 issue or a ios 8 issue.
    With my old iPhone, when using my Bluetooth headset in the car, it would work as follows: When my phone rings I would switch on the power of my headset (which I always keep off) and it would automatically answer the call directly to the headset. Worked exactly as I like it.

Ever since I got the iPhone 6, it is not working the same way. When I switch on my headset, the call answers thru the phone and I have to manually switch the audio on screen to the headset. Very inconvenient.

I have tried resetting the phone, as well as repairing the devices, but to no avail. If anyone can please advise me what I can do to solve this issue. I cannot figure this seemingly simple problem out. Thank you.

2. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Interesting that while a call coming in you have time to power on the headset, let it pair and connect while the call is ringing before the call goes to voicemail. Anyway check your settings>general>accessibility>call audio routing and see if it's on automatic. Only thing I can think of right off.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

When you are not taking a call, do you see your bluetooth headset disconnecting from your iPhone, then re-pair to it 15 - 20 seconds later?

If so, do you notice the problem, as well as your call answering problem going away when you turn off Location Services?

If so, I don't know if this has been reported as a bug, but has been happening at least since iOS 8.1, as I am still having it with 8.1.3 on my iPhone 4s, and didn't have the problem on iOS 7.

BL.

4. Solymar thread starter macrumors newbie

Already set on automatic. Anyone else experiencing this problem? I can't be the only one!

5. gsmornot, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015

gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I have a similar issue. My connection to my car will drop mid call and return after 10-15 seconds. I rebuilt the phone (setup as new) and thought I was on to something but it came back again. I will try turning off location services and see what happens.

Update: Took a call with me to the car. As usual, the bluetooth connection dropped about 30 seconds into the call as I was leaving the house. As soon as I turned location services off, the call connected to the car again. It stayed connected until I turned location service on again. Once back on the call dropped back to the phone after @ 30 seconds and reset the bluetooth connection. The phone must be trying to handoff or locate or something. Maybe its just one application within location services doing it. Not sure but I will experiment.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I doubt that it is just one application, as it would have to be one in common that everyone has installed that must have Location Services turned on, and must have been used (by all of us) within the past 24 hours. there's no way that we could all have been using the same app, that requires Location Services, within the same day. The odds on that are way too high.

For example: the only two apps I have used in the past 24 hours that required Location Services, were Cartwheel by Target, and Pinkberry. Unless you're in a major city that has those two stores, I seriously doubt you ran those, let alone have them on your phone.

Location Services does use bluetooth to 'determine your approximate location', and that would be the only common link. If so, this is an inherent bug in the OS, and not related to any app.

BL.

7. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

The OP stated he keeps headset off until a call comes in then turns it on to answer the call.

----------

I would suspect you are one of the few using Bluetooth headset that way. Most I would guess have it on and ready for when a call comes in. I may turn mine on after the 1st call of the day once I answer the call and switch it over but certainly don't turn it on and off for each call.

8. Solymar thread starter macrumors newbie

I would think many people would use their Bluetooth the way I do. After all, turning off the power switch on the headset each time is the only way to keep the battery from running out by the end of the day.
    All I know is that this was never an issue with my old iPhone. There's no good reason this should be now.

9. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I do use it like you, but it looks like yours is the car's bluetooth? What? I'm not clear on that. I'm using iphone 6 plus 8.2 with jabra bluetooth.

I just tried it before writing this reply. I made a call from another line to my iphone, I picked it up there. I then switched my jabra bluetooth headset on by flipping the tiny switch. on the screen, instead of speakerphone icon, it turned to bluetooth icon automatically without intervention from my part.
    This works like how you describe it should function. I think it's your headset, it's working here.
    My headset takes about 3 seconds to pair itself with the iphone upon turning the power switch.

10. Solymar thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing to do with my car. I have a Motorola Bluetooth headset. With my iPhone 4s, it would take a couple of second to connect once I switched the headset power on. Since I got the iphone 6, it doesn't connect automatically anymore. Nothing is wrong with the headset. It's the phone or ios 8.

11. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I don't think it's iOS 8, as it's working like you described for me here because I use it the same way as you use it. So that leads to the only difference between us is the phone size and the bluetooth headset.

12. Solymar thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me clarify. If I switch on my headset to make a outgoing call, it will always connect right away. It's just when I recieve a call, and it first rings on the phone, it will not switch over automatically when I switch on the headset. It did with my old phone though. Not sure if this helps.

13. rocat1997 macrumors regular

How are you answering the call? Are you sliding to answer on the phone? If so, you need to set the call routing to headset. Otherwise, it answers using the phone and not the headset.

14. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Oh wait that's not what I understood earlier. On my iP6, if I have headset off and a call comes in I can answer it. If I then turn on my headset yes it automatically switches over to headset. Not sure what it will do if while the call is ringing in and I decide to switch on headset to answer. By time I do all that the call will have gone to VM most likely. I use Plantronics so a soft on button not a flip switch, takes a second for it to power on and pair.

But yes if while in a call I switch on headset it will switch over automatically. I have call audio set for "automatically", maybe you need to set for "headset" for your particular case. Either way iP6 and iOS8 works