Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kg4zlb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Cape Coral, FL
I wonder if anyone else has had or is experiencing this issue (?)

I am losing the bluetooth connection to my Air Pods, Apple Watch and another bluetooth headset that I use when I place my iPhone in my back pocket, on the backswing of my arm when walking and if I walk away from the iPhone.

I have reset the phone to factory settings, reset the network settings and every other thing I can come up with but nothing has fixed the problem. If I delete the equipment from the phone and then reinstall/pair then the bluetooth is perfect - if I then disconnect and reconnect, the bluetooth starts failing again. I don't think I should have to go through this every time I want to use my Airpods etc.

As a test I have used the same pieces of equipment (except the Watch) on my iPad and everything works as it should so i think its definitely a phone problem.

Apple support has not been able to suggest a fix but as I said at the top, I'm just interested to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks

treimche

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
Same problems here. iPhone XS Max bluetooth is very problematic and Apple knows about it.

Kg4zlb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Cape Coral, FL
Glad that I am not (or "was" not alone with this") - I spent countless hours on the phone with Apple, had them put analytical software on my phone and watch, provided video of my watch losing the connection etc.

Apart from the issues mentioned in my first posting the Phone continued to drop the bluetooth connection to anything once it couldn't "see" the equipment. Most notably was when the phone was in my back pocket, my Watch would disconnect! Then it refused to make the connection with my car radio unless I placed the phone in the cubby under the dashboard - I nearly bought the new AirPods until I realized that they were not going to work properly.

So, fast forward to last Sunday and I got yet another Apple Senior advisor on the phone who arranged for a brand new iPhone to be shipped to me; not under AppleCare, just a straight swap - I got it Wednesday and so far its been perfect so I am hoping that my old phone was an isolated incident or at least one of a very tiny percentage of XS Max's with bluetooth problems.

New AirPods time methinks :)

treimche

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
Glad to hear a replacement iPhone fixed the problem. I’m definitely going to try for that as soon as my apple support advisor calls me back.

Kg4zlb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Cape Coral, FL
Be aware that unless your happy to have a hold on your credit card for about $1300 until they get your old one back, you will have to send yours in first!

threshold10

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2017
I am having similar issues with connecting to my Apple Watch.

It is as if the iPhone XS Max looses connection periodically.

When I tried to reset the watch, it wouldn’t automatically pair.

Tried with other phones and works perfectly fine.

Update to 5.2 took about 2 hours with constant not connected to WiFi errors.

If only I could easily show this to apple support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.