Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Maryland
I am new to Macs, I have heard a lot of great things about them so I decided to get a macbook in September and give it a try. I absolutely love it but my bluetooth doesn't work anymore. When I click the bluetooth icon, I get the menu and when I either click "send file" or "browse device," absolutely nothing happens! It won't let me send anything to my phone or anyone elses phone. I checked my dock and their is nothing their, I checked to see if my bluetooth was on, it was. It is discoverable and I can also bluetooth videos, music and pictures from my phone to my computer so I know it works. I have no clue what the heck is going on, can anyone help me??? :confused:

macbook41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Maryland
Did you take it to an Apple Store? I have one near me and I am thinking about taking it there tonight. But it is so weird because it was working fine a few days ago and now nothing. I bet it is something so simple and I just can't figure it out. You could send files over the finder and the sercices menu? I don't understand.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
I have exact the same problem! :(
I still could send files over the finder and the services menu, but the bluetooth icon doesnt work...

The 'send file' item in the blue tooth menu should open a program called bluetooth file exchange, which is found in the utilities folder (which itself is in the applications folder). Have a check and make sure this program is still in there, and that it works when you double click it.

macbook41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Maryland
I checked and I have a utilities folder but nothing in it. I think I may have deleted it thinking I didn't need it! Is it possible I just deleted my bluetooth? If so, is it possible to get it back?

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
I checked and I have a utilities folder but nothing in it. I think I may have deleted it thinking I didn't need it! Is it possible I just deleted my bluetooth? If so, is it possible to get it back?

Oops.

I think you can get stuff back from the DVD that came with your computer - never had to do it myself, so I can't tell you what to do. Maybe someone else on here knows?

PS there's lots of important stuff in that folder, not just the bluetooth, so you should try to restore all of it.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
What about all the programs that I have on my computer, if I reinstall, will I lose all of that?

I don't think you have to reinstall - don't do it because you'll loose all your stuff.

I think there's a way of getting just the things you need off the DVD without going through the reinstall procedure.

Anyone else help?

shaunrm

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2006
Re-install! no bother

It's really easy.

Reboot using the instructions on the disk. You are given the option to do a clean install or keep user files options and settings. Go for the latter. When it's finished you shouldn't see anything different. All the same documents, desktop shortcuts and background, files, everything. Not like Windows. :)

macbook41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Maryland
I did just that and my bluetooth is working now and I kept all of my files. Thank you all for your imput and help!!!:D

Nightkrawler

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Vienna, Austria
Well thanks, ive found out what it was.
I still had the bluetooth app, but i moved every app that has to do with system in a system folder in the application folder. Im a bit disappointed that osx didnt recognized it by itself (at least a message that the app couldnt be found would be helpful), i had to manually recreate the utilitys folder and move back the bluetooth app to make it work again. :rolleyes:
Thanks!

amirv

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2007
Might be a conflict with Nokia PC Suite

Dear all,

I suffered endlessly and still do not know what causes this problem. However, earlier today I decided to uninstall my Nokia PC Suite (on the Windows XP used through BootCamp 1.2) which for the last few hours seem to have solved the problem. I still enjoy my bluetooth after I downloaded and re-installed the Nokia SW.

Seems as if MB is not yet an ideal platform to run Windows on.

I am using MB as I am with HumanEyes (http://www.humaneyes.com) and our 3D and lenticular SW is Mac based. With the MB I do not have to carry two laptops when meeting with customers.

Thanks,

Amir

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.