Bluetooth Keyboard and iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mark G%, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Mark G% macrumors newbie

How do you pair a Bluetooth keyboard an iPhone 3GS running iOS4? I've spent the last half hour watching "searching..." while the damn keyboard is right there. My phone's bluetooth enabled as is my keyboard and I disconnected my keyboard from my iMac. Please help! :mad:

2. slashcrashcup macrumors newbie

I have connected mine successfully. I turned bluetooth on the IPod and then turned my keyboard on. After the IPod noticed the keyboard and said searching, I tapped the name of the device (the font was black and I was wondering if it was going to do anything or if I was supposed to tap it, I did and it worked). It asked me to enter a code on the keyboard and press enter. I did and it worked. This is a great day. Now I only wonder why it took Apple this long to enable something that has been there since Day one of the IPod Touch 3gen. :)

3. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

Your keyboard needs to be "Searching" as well, if that makes sense. On most keyboards there's a dedicated button underneath/on the side of it, marked "Connect" or something similar. I don't know if it's the same on Apple BT Keyboards, but if not - try turning the keyboard off and then on again while the iPhone is searching to be paired.

4. hondje macrumors member

Dock?

I'm very excited to finally be able to use my Apple BT keyboard with my iPhone...if only my iPhone 4 would get here already! I'm sick of this RAZR phone...I only sold my 3g three days ago! LOL! The keyboard will be great for taking notes in class...

I'm wondering, what are you guys doing for a dock for your phone? It seems like a dock would be crucial if using a keyboard with the phone. I'm getting the Apple Bumper and really don't want to take it on and off each time I use the Apple Dock. Do you have any suggestions? Perhaps even a decent off-brand dock that could simply charge my phone while it is docked?

5. iStipek macrumors newbie

Okey, so I have an Apple wireless keyboard and an iPhone 3GS which I have just upgraded with iOS 4. I'm trying to pair them and cannot seem to do this simple task. Baffling -- since Apple is always so intuitive and awesome about such things. Apple wireless keyboard does not have any buttons except for on/off button on the right side and disconnecting it from my iMac is pointless because iPhone still cannot find it (I tried and tried and tried...). :confused:

Would somebody who has successfully paired theirs give me a clue as to what I am missing?

6. andyadler macrumors member

Try holding down the Option key (or perhaps the 'Apple' key) while pressing the power button on the right-hand side of the BT keyboard. That worked for me.

Best...A.

7. JMC2008 macrumors newbie

Cannot Be Paired with any other device

Hey all!

I know that stating the obvious is not usually a great way to enter a conversation - usually showing all that you are full or hot air and like to be noticed.

However - I am willing to share my experience that I just had (minutes ago) in hopes it helps someone else get this VERY cool and practical addition/expansion to the iPhone up and running.

I have the Apple Aluminum BT keyboard and if you are in a similar spot like I was - you may not know that the device cannot be currently paired with another device when you are trying to pair it to the iPhone. Or it will not pair.

Mine was - so - I fired up the MacBook and connected the keyboard and went in to the settings and while in there - just because I wanted to - I changed the name of the keyboard, this is an optional step NOT related to the success I had - or at least I do not think/know that it was. Then I deleted it from the MacBook that is was paired to - while it was on.

When I fired up the iPhone and turned on the BT it automatically started searching - then I pressed the power button on the BT Keyboard. It showed up in the list of devices almost instantly. Then once I pressed on the name of the keyboard on the iPhone, after a very short delay the iPhone prompted me to enter 4 numbers on the keyboard and press enter and I was done.

Hope it helps. Let me know. I tend not to be full of hot air. But sometimes these little things will cause a great deal of angst.

Have a good weekend all. :D

Jared

8. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

I pulled out my Rocketfish bluetooth keyboard and turned it on, and enabled BT on the phone, connected instantly and sent a text with it....only issue is when you hit enter on the keyboard it just skips to the next line on the text...not sure how to send the message from the keyboard....

9. Appleholic macrumors newbie

Connecting iPhone 4 to BT Keyboard

I couldn't get mine to connect even after turning off the MacBook it was associated with until I removed the batteries from the Keyboard. After I put them back in, it was easy as cake. Been working ever since with no need to mess with the batteries.

10. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

11. Zxxv Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just hold the keyboard power button until it starts blinking or stays on. Can't remember. Then it appears listed in phone an asks to enter number on keyboard. I never disassociated it with my mac

12. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

You have to un-pair it from the computer, not just disconnect it. I was stumped by this problem, too, until I went to my Bluetooth preferences and deleted the keyboard from it.

EDIT: OK, now it finds it, but it always fails to pair.