Bluetooth keyboard causes really slow wake-up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cole01, Mar 30, 2013.

1. cole01 macrumors 6502

Has anyone else experienced this? After my iMac has been sleeping for a while, pressing the spacebar on my Bluetooth keyboard causes the machine to wake up like expected but it doesn't allow me to start entering a password for what seems like a very long time, then the keyboard will flash a green light LED and then all seems fine. The batteries are new so that shouldn't be the cause. It's the only thing that's really annoying me about my otherwise perfect machine. Maybe I'll try to un-pair and re-pair it to see if that makes a difference.

2. cole01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, if anyone else is also experiencing this, I unpaired and repaired the keyboard and it seems to be a bit better but still very laggy to wake and allow me to type in my password. I'll try with a wired keyboard and see if this squashes the problem completely so I know it's not my system.

3. canadax14 macrumors newbie

canadax14

I have a similar issue with my USB 3 hub with external HDDs attached. My imac takes about 10 seconds before it lets me put in my password. It even does this when my HDDs are turned off, so it can't be waiting for them to wake up. It's super annoying.

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

Sleeping/waking + Bluetooth is flaky on the Macs, and has been for years and years. For me, if I leave my system sleeping any number of hours, waking it up means my keyboard lags when typing, e.g. I type and letters appears almost a second after I've hit the letter. A reboot fixes it, but it's rather annoying. My 2012 iMac has this issue.

5. cole01 thread starter macrumors 6502

At least I'm not the only one experiencing this. It's just weird because the keyboard obviously wakes the machine up so why shouldn't it work to enter my password immediately? It's frustrating because this small thing makes my otherwise fast computer feel very slow and bogged down. Hopefully this will be fixed someday.

6. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i get this too it only bothers me tho when im in a hurry and if it really bothered me i would just plug in my wired keyboard

7. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

I've had my iMac for just under 2 weeks now and, as a few have said, this is the only thing that's really annoying about it. There's obviously some kind of connection as hitting the space bar wakes the iMac up but then there's that long wait. I don't want to have to use a wired keyboard just because of this.

8. MetalRCG macrumors newbie

I haven't seen any replies in a while, so I'm guessing it's still an ongoing issue. I'm also getting the same issue but it's all 3 of my bluetooth devices (magic mouse, keyboard, and trackpad). The funny thing is that on my bootcamp Windows 7 Home partition, the bluetooth devices work immediately; no lag whatsoever. I don't it's a hardware issue because of that. Apple should address this issue. Hopefully in Mavericks.

9. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's a combination of blue tooth and typing in a password. I have my Mac set to sleep, but no password required. It comes back pretty quickly when I press a key on the blue tooth keyboard and everything is active immediately after that.

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

FWIW, I have a logitech k760 bluetooth keyboard on a mac mini. It's always been slow to accept a password.

I guessed it was because it isn't an official Apple keyboard. So this is interesting to know.

11. MetalRCG macrumors newbie

I'm going to try this tonight. My fiance has an older iMac and doesn't have it set to logout when hers goes to sleep. She did say that it happens to her but only sometimes. Will post back here with some results tomorrow hopefully.