Bluetooth Keyboard Lag in Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by besler3035, Jul 31, 2012.

1. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion, I've noticed a considerable lag with my Apple bluetooth keyboard. The keyboard on my laptop works fine and speedy, but oftentimes the bluetooth keyboard takes at least a second or two to register a typed key, and will sometimes repeat the key as if it's being held down.

Has anyone seen this happen to them? Is there some sort of resolution?

2. MrMitchell20 macrumors newbie

Yes this happening to me too. So far I've had to power cycle the keyboard and let it reconnect before it behaves normally. This only happens with me when I wake my computer from sleep or from screen saver/blank screen. I've got a 9-month old MBP and the old style bluetooth keyboard which has been working flawlessly for years...till now. I debated just getting a new keyboard but now I think it's most likely Mountain Lion that's the problem.

3. elvineet macrumors member

I've got the same issue. I have the older Apple bluetooth keyboard with number pad (without the Chiclet keys) that came with my 2006 iMac. I'm able to press a key to wake the Mac mini from sleep, but after that any key press is either lagging or leads to "stuck keys" - for e.g., pressing Cmd+t in Safari leads to a tabs just being created continuously.

4. texasswift macrumors newbie

Yes, I am having this same issue. Upon wake, my original Apple Bluetooth Keyboard will suddenly starting repeating keys and sending random characters. My workaround is to mouse to System Preferences -> Bluetooth and disconnect/connect the keyboard. That always clears it up until the next sleep.

Mac mini Server (mid 2010)
    OS X 10.8.1
    Apple Wireless Keyboard
    Apple Trackpad

5. besler3035 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Believe it or not, when I got a new laptop, these issues stopped. Could it be that the upgraded Bluetooth version helps old keyboards?

6. arohlen macrumors newbie

USB the culprit

I have a Mac Mini that i recently upgraded to Mountain Lion and a Magic Mouse that started to lag very much at about the same time as the upgrade.

In another hint I saw that you can have a graph displayed of the bluetooth signal strength, by selecting "Monitor Connection RSSI" from the bluetooth system prefs pane. I saw that the mouse had a signal of -80 (bad).

Reading a little more, I started to suspect the 3 USB cables connected to the Mac Mini but unconnected in the other end, aside from a powered USB hub.

I pulled out the USB cables and problem solved!