Bluetooth keyboard paires fine but not working correctly after login

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by svensimon, Mar 26, 2008.

1. svensimon macrumors newbie

It seems there's something screwy in my user profile as I have both apple wireless keyboards, the old big one and the new aluminum thin one and neither works correctly when I'm logged in as my user. Using the old one, the number keys on the number pad don't work and using the new one none of the alphabetical characters work. Command-Tab does let me switch thru applications, though. Also, everything works fine at the login screen and when logged in as a different user!

Which of the com.apple.*.plist files under ~/Library/Preferences would I possibly have to delete to get this to work again? Or is this kind of stuff stored somewhere totally different? I'm assuming it's some kind of settings I tinkered with that messed this up. I forgot when the old one's number keys stopped working, but I just recently got the new aluminum one and that one I never got to work so far.

2. ljones macrumors regular

I didn't have any problems with my wireless Apple "thin" keyboard. Did you try restarting? Not that it should matter, but you never know. I think i unboxed mine, popped the batteries in, and paired it to my mac pro. No issues.

3. svensimon thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, already tried just about everything. Rebooted, re-paired, move the keyboardtypes plist away, did the same for the Bluethooth plist file... all to no avail. But as I said, when I log in as different user, it's all good. So it's not the keyboard that's the root problem.

4. ljones macrumors regular

i know i had to rename mine after i reinstalled my system and used a different short name for my user account. The keyboard would work, the odd issues would start. I never considered renaming it, and when i went to check, it was still set to the old account. I changed this in the keyboard pref pane. But that likely won't help your situation.

5. svensimon thread starter macrumors newbie

Na, I changed the keyboard name first thing after I encountered the problem... no change.

What did help, though, is moving all the com.apple.*plist files out of ~/Library/Preferences while logged in as root. Then when I logged back in as my user, the keyboard worked! But all my settings are gone this way, so I need to narrow down which plist file it is that causes the keyboard to stop working.

It's some 150 files though and it's none of the obvious ones. There's none with "keyboard" in the name and moving the one's with "Bluetooth" away didn't help.

I just hope it's a plist file that contains only keyboard related settings and not something like com.apple.systempreferences.plist. Would hate to loose more settings than I have to.

6. ljones macrumors regular

com.apple.systempreferences.plist seems to be the last modified item after i made a change to my keyboard settings.

7. svensimon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I've tried removing that... didn't help. Gonna keep trying different ones.