Bluetooth Keyboard/Trackpad/Mouse connection problems with 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PatriotInvasion, Jan 7, 2011.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Recently, I've been having an issue where neither my Apple bluetooth Keyboard or Magic Trackpad pair automatically with the iMac at my password login screen. This forces me to hold down the power button and force a restart of the machine.

Both accessories have plenty of battery power and pair fine after restarting. In a related problem, sometimes neither accessory will wake the iMac from sleep and I suspect it's because the bluetooth is dropping connection while asleep, thus making it impossible to wake up the iMac.

Any ideas why this might be happening? Corrupt bluetooth .plist file? Or, could there be a problem with the iMac's built in bluetooth?:confused: Please let me know your thoughts.

2. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

3. mattytemple macrumors newbie

I have recently had this problem, although I can login using another Mac and quite my apps and shut down safely.

After a little research I am unable to find a solution, Any help on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

4. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

AppleCare had me reset the PRAM and stuff. Worked for a few days, but had to hard restart the machine because it wouldn't wake from sleep over the weekend. :mad:

5. highburyheroes macrumors newbie

Can anyone provide any insight into this?

I'm having the same issues on my new 21.5 imac. Both the keyboard and the mouse keep losing connection, both during sleep and occasionally while using the imac.

Its only one week old, is it likely a bluetooth issue with the imac? or some settings maybe? Or should i just phone apple up and ask for a replacement? and would they actually provide me one just going by my word?

Thanks for any replies. Im new to macs but have so far been so impressed by it, just this is starting to annoy me slightly :)

6. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

One key sign that the bluetooth issues will begin happening is that the Caps Lock LED light will not illuminate on the keyboard. When in this state, attempting to access the bluetooth preferences on the Mac will result in the spinning beach ball.

There's something that becomes corrupt with the connection from time to time. Usually a restart will fix the problem. AppleCare will only have you reset PRAM and stuff, but I did that and am still having sporadic issues. Hopefully it's a software bug and not something more sinister with the logic board of the machine or something

7. highburyheroes macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah that's exactly what happens. The caps lock light never works when this happens. Although mine never gets the beechball, just won't find anything related to Bluetooth etc. I'm guessing it's a software related issue since it's instantly resolved with a fresh start up.

8. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yea, my hope is that either a Snow Leopard update or OS X Lion will fix the issue. It happens infrequently enough that I'm willing to live with the bug for awhile

9. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

FYI...I tried repairing disk permissions in addition to the PRAM reset and so far so good :)

10. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Problem is back. Called AppleCare again and they were a bit stumped. They wanted me to reboot in safe mode and delete the keyboard from the bluetooth list, but we couldn't because I don't have a wired keyboard to communicate with the iMac after deleting the bluetooth keyboard.

Their other option was to bring it to the Apple Store and leave it with them for diagnostic testing. No way I'm lugging this thing through the mall and since many others are having this problem, it would probably be a waist of time.

Now I'm just hoping a clean install of Lion will fix this if it is a software bug.

11. stuh101 macrumors newbie

Fix for mouse

MAC looses Bluetooth connection with mouse, keyboard, and magic pad when computer goes to sleep. The mouse, keypad, or magic pad will not wake the computer when clicked.

To fix this problem do the following procedure:

1. Open System Preference

2. Open Bluetooth

3. Open Advance

4. Uncheck the “Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer” check box.

5. Now restart your MAC.
    6. After restart reverse the above process and restart the MAC again. This will cure the Bluetooth connection issue.

12. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

The issue seems to be resolved since upgrading to Lion. Clean installed on the day of it's release and it's been fine ever since. Fingers crossed.

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Just wanted to add that this started happening to me today. However I am on a 21.5" Mac running OS X 10.7.4. This is my first Mac so I'm new to all of this stuff. I tried the above posted solution and so far it seems to be working.