Bluetooth keyboard turns on too easily

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Manatee, May 14, 2010.

1. Manatee macrumors 6502a

Manatee

I got Apple's bluetooth keyboard to use with the iPad. It works great, and it's very compact. However, the switch is right at the end of the "foot" (which also holds the two AA batteries). It's a beautiful design, but the slightest bump turns on the keyboard.

[​IMG]

I wish the switch were:

- slightly recessed
    - or even better, the user had to swivel the switch 90 degrees before it would depress. That would lock out the possibility of accidental switching on/off.

I have to be very careful when carrying the keyboard in a bag. Maybe I can make some soft of cap that fits over the part of the keyboard with the switch.

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

It is reassuring to know that I'm not the only one. I noticed that too. Making/finding a cap to place over it is a great idea.

3. Mezzo43 macrumors member

Mezzo43

I know it's a hassle but could you just take out the batteries (or just one battery) from the wireless keyboard when it's inside your travel bag? That would prevent the keyboard from turning on accidently.

4. Manatee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Manatee

Good idea. That's what I'm doing, for now. It beats taking the iPad out of my bag, trying to use it, and getting no virtual keyboard -- because the other keyboard is powered on.

5. greg555 macrumors 6502a

If you carved a 35mm film container with a slot, would it fit over and protect the button?

Greg

6. Manatee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Manatee

Easily. It would be a loose fit, but if the slot were cut tight enough to grip the keyboard, it would work well. Now you've got me looking at various pliable plastic containers around the house to see what would fit best. :) Thanks for the idea.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

How come mine that I got yesterday uses 3 batteries? Lol!

Good to know this ahead of putting it in the bag though, I will have to toss an extra set if batteries in there too.

I'm kinda irked there isn't a key for the home button like on the keyboard dock. Or am I missing something?

8. sandydlc macrumors regular

I'm super annoyed with my bt keyboard!! I'm just about to leave on a flight from SEA>MIA and had my ipad in my bag + bt keyboard. I have about 10 minutes until we board so naturally I pulled out my iPad.

I discovered that the battery that was charged to 100% before I left my house was now down to 73%!!! It turns out the keyboard had turned itself on in my bag and it was preventing the ipad from turning off. I'm so upset. Luckily I found somewhere to plug in before we board but there's no way I'll get more than another 5% before the flight if I'm lucky.

I probably won't need a full charge but I always feel better when I can leave with a full charge.

Lesson learned...take the battery out of the keyboard!!

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Or just turn BT off on the iPad - then the keyboard wouldn't keep the iPad awake or discharge the battery.

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I was going to suggest that too until I realized that the keyboard's batteries would discharge.

11. chris8535 macrumors member

Yes and a month or two later you'll had a dead keyboard... lol! Keep things in perspective.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

How long will the BT keyboard batteries last if a key is continuously pressed while in a backpack? 2 months? really?