Bluetooth Keyboard / Volume Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MikeyC, Nov 19, 2007.

1. MikeyC macrumors newbie

Hi all...

May I just begin by saying I have been reading Macrumors for over 2 years, tho this is my 1st post!

I have been having problems with my bluetooth keyboard for a couple of months now, and I dont know what is happening. My bluetooth keyboard automatically lowers the volume (as if i'm holding the lower volume key), although no keys are stuck, and I've even removed the volume down key to no avail.

I can put it up again via the remote, but eventually it'll lower back down to 0 again, usually within a few seconds, but sometimes will stop doing this for a few mins. Even When the sound is right down, the volume lowering display shows on the screen.

Now, here is the strange thing...

This problem was coming and going intermittently, but with Leopard coming I was hoping the new OS would solve the problem.

My internet connection was cut the day before Leopard arrived. I installed Leopard on the day it was released, and i thought the problem had been resolved, as the volume controls were working perfectly, and the problem had disappeared.

My internet connection was restored last week, and ever since this problem is occurring again.

So, I am assuming from this that this problem is internet related, so could it be the wireless router conflicting with bluetooth signals?

I would be most grateful if anyone has any ideas.

By the way, it is the original Apple bluetooth keyboard (2006) and not the new alu / white ones!

2. Furrybeagle macrumors 6502

Furrybeagle

Was it a clean install of Leopard, or an upgrade install? If it was an Upgrade, that may suggest some underlying software problem that carried over from Tiger… just an idea.

Have you tried using a wired keyboard (if you have one)? I’m assuming that it’s just the Bluetooth keyboard.

One thing you may want to try is changing the wireless channel on the router. The router should give you the option of changing from channel 1 through channel 11. I know Apple’s Airport Extreme gives you the option to change it in AirPort Utility (under Manual Setup). If you have some other router refer to your documentation/manuals/whatever or search online. If that doesn’t work I guess you could try enabling “Interference Robustness” (if you have an AirPort router). If it’s an 802.11g router try changing it to G only mode…

And welcome to the forums. :)

3. MikeyC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Furry,

It was a totally clean install of Leopard! I also installed a clean version of Tiger after this fault first reared its head.

The router is a Netgear ADSL wireless router that our service provider supplied us.

Just out of curiosity, when the internet was down, the router was still plugged in, so if it was the router causing the problems, the fact that it was still plugged in when the net was down wouldn't make a difference would it?

EDIT: I have just completely unplugged the router and the problem continued. Any other ideas?

4. MikeyC thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem also occurs on my girlfriends macbook when the keyboard is connected to it.

Looks like the keyboard is broken!