Bluetooth Keyboard with Multitouch Track Pad for MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Terwal, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Terwal macrumors regular

What would you guys think of a wireless keyboard with a multitouch trackpad for the MBA (and the new MBP I guess) ?

Wouldn't that be great ? :)

Do you think Apple could release it anytime soon ?

I think it would make a lot of sense and would "increase" the value of the Multitouch feature...

Thoughts ?

W.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the MBA is already "wireless" and already has a multi-touch trackpad... why would you want a wireless keyboard with a multi-touch trackpad?

3. Terwal thread starter macrumors regular

Because of my ideal set up at home:

- MBA linked wireless to my flat screen TV with Apple TV
    - MBA linked wireless to Time Capsule for all my files
    - and MBA linked wireless to a keyboard (with multitouch)

=> so that I can be comfortably in my couch and use my MBA through flat screen TV + keyboard to view movies, pictures, etc... with more comfort (and lower danger of damaging my MBA) than if I had the MBA actually on my laps... The MBA is seating quietly in a corner of the living room, away from accidents (and kids if any)...

What do you think ?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeah i was thinking you might of had this setup.

a trackpad was added to the 20th Anniversary Mac keyboard but i dont think it was too successful. and i dont think Apple sees a need for it as per my previous post.

you would have to buy a wireless Apple keyboard and a wireless mouse.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I am thinking that adding a trackpad, never mind a multitouch trackpad, to a wireless keyboard is going to do two things:

1. Jack up the price.
    2. Jack up the power consumption.

And I definitely would not carry around a wireless keyboard. The MBA's keyboard is fine as it is.

What I would like to see from Apple at some point is a wireless keyboard that is identical (other than being wireless, of course) to the wired keyboard they now include with iMacs and Mac Pros. I miss having a numeric keypad on my Apple Wireless Keyboard.

6. Terwal thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean ?

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Like in a backpack.

8. Terwal thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry clayj, missing your point ?

Why would anyone carry around a wireless keyboard ? In my mind, it is a great accessory for home usage... not more...

And I fully agree that the MBA keyboard is great...

9. phoxrenvatio macrumors regular

it'd be nice to have a multi-touch trackpad on ANY keyboard for iMac, Mac mini, and Mac Pro

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Apple sees the Apple TV as the mac to be used at home on the couch with a TV not the MBA. the MBA was designed to be used on the go at a desk or on your lap so your never too far from the keyboard. even using it as a desktop replacement you would use a mouse along with the wireless keyboard as users usually prefer a mouse to the trackpad. it is a neat idea but i cant see Apple doing this.

11. Boomhowler macrumors 6502

I believe you hit the head on the nail there phoxrenvatio, why do you want that keyboard for a MBAir? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a MacMini and such a keyboard, and have the macbook air when you are not at home. Or simply control the mac mini from the MB Air using vnc or something..

12. thlayli macrumors newbie

13. Terwal thread starter macrumors regular

And... a touch pad which can be used to call your friends ! ;) Great idea !! :)

14. mylostone macrumors newbie

sheesh

Why all the nit-picking? "Why would ANYONE want a wireless keyboard with their MBA? It's is sooooo perfect already!" give it a rest.

It is obviously a good idea to have a wireless keyboard with multi-touch trackpad (or any trackpad) for ANY mac ... It is something I've been hoping apple (or someone) would make for years.

The closest thing I've seen so far is a PS3 keyboard from Logitech:
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3616&cl=us,en

But I don't think it does even the rudimentary multitouch (two finger strokes) of the older MacBooks.

15. carlox macrumors newbie

Perfect movie remote

I looove remote controlling movies from the bed with a device I have anyways: My iPod touch - no extra gizmos to do that!

16. emjay247 macrumors newbie

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're going to put your MacBook Air in a corner, why bother getting the MacBook Air in the first place?

Besides mice are overrated; keyboard shortcuts FTW!