Bluetooth LE / 4 for powerpc

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hubertus, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Hubertus macrumors newbie

hello

To make my g4 work with my Bluetooth sensor tag I would like to know if there is any adapter of Bluetooth LE / 4 which does work with PowerPC platform 10.4 or 10.5?

Thank you

Hubertus

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I don't believe there are any drivers to support the LE-specific profiles for PPC. I'm not even sure there are drivers for that for the Intel builds!

It's a two-fold problem. First you need the raw drivers to make the adapter work - I don't think there are any BT 4 adapters that have PowerPC drivers - I find extremely few that have Intel OS X drivers (and those are all based on the same Bluetooth chip that the BT4-capable Intel Macs have built-in.)

Second you need the support in the OS for the desired Bluetooth profile. There are many different profiles, from file transfer to "headset audio" (i.e. cell phone calls,) to "A2DP" (high-quality audio for playing music,) to the ones you want, the proximity-sensing FMP and PXP profiles. As far as I can tell, even the latest OS X does not support those profiles - so your sensor tag won't work with even the latest Macs. It seems that these profiles are expected to be for use only with mobile devices like phones as the 'base' for them.

As far as I can tell, the only "tracker" apps out there are for iOS and Android.