Bluetooth Logo gone?

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by Ev0d3vil, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Ev0d3vil macrumors 6502

2. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

3. d4m1r macrumors regular

d4m1r

Just noticed this as well....No more faded vs stronger logo when actually connected....It won't show any logo at all until connected now. Very stupid update....

4. crewpride macrumors member

Is it? When you're not connected to a wifi network it doesn't show a weaker version of that icon. Same principle now applies to bluetooth.

5. Burky84 macrumors newbie

Ya mines gone too, I’m currently connected to my Apple Watch an no Bluetooth icon, even when I connect my Bose BT speaker the icon didn’t show up

6. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

This has been the case through all the betas, so appears working as designed.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

8. jtomalley macrumors newbie

jtomalley

Apple has been making some really dumb decisions lately. I don't like that the icon disappeared. It does not show up when something is connected, it's just gone.

I'd rather have it there as a reminder that it's still on and broadcasting even if I'm not connected to a Bluetooth device to remind me to shut it off and save battery life and also for privacy and safety reasons. iPhone security is not perfect as we all know, and someone can use an open Bluetooth connection to do all sorts of nefarious things.

9. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

Wifi and Bluetooth are always on unless you turn them off, so why do you need the icon? With so many use Apple watches and Airpods and other wireless devices it only makes sense to have Bluetooth behave the same as wifi. Your cellular radio consumes more battery than wifi or Bluetooth.

And just how often are iDevices be compromised by Bluetooth hacks?

10. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

To be fair, when WiFi is in use then the WiFi icon appears, on the other hand, with the changes in iOS 12, it seems that in many instances when Bluetooth is in use there's still no Bluetooth icon, so it's not even consistent in that way.

11. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

You have a point. My guess that the wifi icon shows in part is because it's nice to know whether you're surfing on wifi or cellular, especially if you don't have unlimited cellular data plan.

I think the change with the Bluetooth icon will be better accepted when folks realize how unnecessary it really is. Many folks just have a hard time accepting change.

12. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Not sure what the downside of showing the icon at least when it's in use. Pretty much most other similar services, even location, show something at leas when they are in use.

13. uniquexoxo macrumors member

uniquexoxo

This has always been the case since the betas. It will show a headphone icon if it’s connected. See attached. I am connected to a JBL speaker. 821C6821-ABCA-4CEC-A96C-48A88F666748.jpeg

14. StevenRCE0 macrumors newbie

StevenRCE0

I quite like this change.