Bluetooth Magic Mouse -- fix?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tombiscuit, Sep 8, 2015.

1. tombiscuit macrumors member

tombiscuit

I've got a Bluetooth Magic Mouse and use it witha retina 15in MBP.

Like many, many people I get the disconnection thing happening around twice an hour.

I've tried all the fixes -- everything from tin foil in the battery compartment, to PM reset etc. New batteries. Strong batteries. Nothing's fixed it.

So, what's the current state of wisdom on this? Is there a fix? From looking at the signal level (hold down Option and click the bluetooth icon on the menu bar) that the signal fluctuates between -50 -60 dBm, which it seems isn't strong enough. The wireless Apple Keyboard I have seems to have a steady -47 dBm and has never disconnected.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I had the problem when I first upgraded to Yosemite
    I found this on another Forum and I have no idea what it does or how it works
    But I ran this in Terminal and it fixed my problem

sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
    sudo kextload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport

May do nothing for you, but worth a shot

3. dilap macrumors 6502a

I had exactly the same problem, and after trying everything I could, I contacted Apple and they sent a box for me to return my old one, which they then replaced. It's also worth noting that some more reliable wireless mouses (that use a USB port) sell for about £12 on Amazon.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I think the problem is in the Wi-Fi radio, esp. if you connect to 2.4GHz access point. If I connect to a 5GHz AP, I have never connection problems with BT mouse or keyboard. To begin with, try if turning off WiFi will make any difference.

5. tombiscuit, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015

tombiscuit thread starter macrumors member

tombiscuit

I'll certainly have a play around. Thanks!

I've not timed it but the interruptions do appear to be periodic, and I've often wondered if it was some device somewhere periodically polling for a connection or sending out a stay-alive signal.

EDIT: Yes! This seems to work! I'll report back when I've more info but the signal strength is much better if the Wi-Fi connection is 5GHz and not 2.4!

6. tombiscuit thread starter macrumors member

tombiscuit

I can confirm that priitv8 is bang on the money. I turned off 2.4GHz on my router, switching to 5GHz, and I've not had a single disconnect problem. I blogged about it although can't post the link here because I'll be accused of advertising and banned. But it should be obvious how to find it.