Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I got a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse in December '06 and haven't been using it much over the last week due to the batteries (2nd set) being low - am waiting for a charger to arrive.

Today I decided to use it - however it seems to have stopped scrolling downwards - it'll scroll in every other direction but down. I've tried cleaning it (well, as best as I can do), but that just seems to have made it worse.

What can I do to get my scrolling back? Downwards is my most-scrolled direction!!

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Yeah loads of people have had that problem I think you just need to turn it upside down and clean the scroll ball. Heres an Official Apple Video on how to do so video
Please note you will need quicktime to view this video.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Yeah loads of people have had that problem I think you just need to turn it upside down and clean the scroll ball. Heres an Official Apple Video on how to do so video
Please note you will need quicktime to view this video.

Tried that, and it didn't work.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
deal with it my bluetooth might mouse stopped scrolling after 30 minute and apple wont take it back because its not a know issue.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
deal with it my bluetooth might mouse stopped scrolling after 30 minute and apple wont take it back because its not a know issue.

Great :rolleyes: Two "unknown issues" I have to get Apple to fix then (trackpad temp. sensor on G4 PowerBook....). Apple QA and customer support does seem to be going down the pan a bit lately.

AndyClarke

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2007
Fernhurst, Hampshire
You have dirty balls....

I had the same problem and used the Apple DIY online service. They sent me a new one within a few days. However while waiting for the new mouse I gave the scroll ball a good clean and it worked again. It's just a build up of muck on the wheel nothing more sinister at all. I had the same direction problem, down would not work.

In my experience if you can not hear the faint click of the wheel turning then it will not work.

GOOD LUCK.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I had the same problem and used the Apple DIY online service. They sent me a new one within a few days. However while waiting for the new mouse I gave the scroll ball a good clean and it worked again. It's just a build up of muck on the wheel nothing more sinister at all. I had the same direction problem, down would not work.

In my experience if you can not hear the faint click of the wheel turning then it will not work.

GOOD LUCK.

Could you provide a link for the Apple DIY online service for the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse please.

Also, how did you clean yours?

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I've had the same problem periodically. Ever once in a while the ball will just stop scrolling down, it feels as though it has just come loose. What I do to fix it is just click it down and move it in all directions; very unscientific but it seems to work.

thenick512

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2007
it happens to mine all the time and apple told me about the same thing with " its not a known issue " I figured I had a faulty mighty mouse and I might as well take it apart. I pried apart, and once I was inside I unscrewed the little carriage that holds the scroll ball and noticed that the rollers (front, back, left, and right) were kinda gunky so I cleaned it up and put it back together. came out as good as new. I would becareful if you decide to try this because its really easy to break stuff in there.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I have had to clean my MM about twice a week. One day a guess I was being a bit too "vigorous" with the cleaning and the button for the scroll ball stopped working. I was sent a new MM by Apple. The little scroll ball is a serious design flaw in that it cannot be easily removed for cleaning. I hope Apple redesigns it.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I have had to clean my MM about twice a week. One day a guess I was being a bit too "vigorous" with the cleaning and the button for the scroll ball stopped working. I was sent a new MM by Apple. The little scroll ball is a serious design flaw in that it cannot be easily removed for cleaning. I hope Apple redesigns it.

I think I'll bug AppleCare tomorrow, see what happens. And also see if I can get them to give me a new laptop while I'm at it... ;)

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Sorry for the double post, but here's an update:

Just before I was going to phone AppleCare, I thought I'd have one last go at cleaning my scrollball. As I lack things like iClean, "cleaning" alcohol, and lint-free cloths, I got a clean sheet of paper and held the mouse upside down and ran the scrollwheel very quickly over the paper.

The result - a series of grubby lines on the paper and one fully-functioning scrollwheel :D

Although I think I might have broken something - it seems to be scrolling a lot better than it did even when it was brand new ;) Barely any effort required to scroll.

Thanks for all the tips and help in this thread :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.