Bluetooth motorcycle Helmet kits???

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Natesac, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Has anyone used a stereo bluetooth motorcycle helmet kit?

I have been looking a the parrot and the chatterbox. Was looking to see if anyone on here has tried them.

2. garyg4210 macrumors newbie

bluetooth helmet kit

I bought a midland BT2 kit from Costco for around $200. Includes 2 sets. Works fantastic! Even at 60 mph on a highway, I can hear fine and people think I'm at home. Music plays when you're not on the phone. Only problem is figuring out the buttons. I use a full face helmet, so not sure how it would work with a smaller unit.

3. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

I've had great luck with my Interphone F4 as well. Very good sound quality even with ear plugs. Callers can't believe I'm on a motorcycle.

4. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Just opened up my chatterbox Xbi2.

Paired with the iPhone ok but no voice control whatsoever. It's going back to the store :(

Now I just need to figure out which one to try next.

5. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

You want the Scala Rider G4 headset. Nothing else compares.

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-g4

I connect it with my phone and can take and make wireless phone calls through it; I can listen to my music from my iPhone or iPod Touch; my buddy has one and when he is near on his motorcycle it automatically connects to his G4 and we have instant communication; it has a built in FM radio with channel storage; etc.

Essentially this headset will do everything you want it to do and more. The sound quality from the headphones is superb; I've been traveling at 110 MPH and could still hear the other person talking. The microphone cancels noise out, and the person on the other end of the conversation has no idea that you're even on a motorcycle. It's great!

Range between headsets is also impressive. It's not quite as good as advertised, but it definitely doesnt disappoint if two riders get stuck in different positions in a long line of traffic.

6. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

@redneck a few questions about the scala +iPhone

1. Are you able to skip tracks via the helmet kit?

2. Can you access the built in iPhone voice control.

I am trying to decide between the scala, the interphone f4. And the parrot kits

7. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Yes, to both your questions. You can skip songs by using the iPhone's voice control. You simply press the top middle button on the headset, it starts the voice control on the phone and you tell it to select a song, playlist, skip a song, previous song, call a contact, etc.

It works very well. You won't be disappointed. This is the best headset on the market right now.

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier is that the battery life on this thing is absolutely incredible. They advertise I think 10 hours. This thing gets more like 15. My friend found the same with his. There's been a couple times where I have gone out on four hour + rides, leaving with the battery on the headset low and thinking it will cut out half way, and the thing is still playing music when I roll back up to the house. It's incredible. I can't tell you how impressed I am with it.

Scala gives you free software updates for it too, so it's constantly improving it's functionality as well.

8. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Thank you so much for the fast response Redneck. You have sold me on the scala. I was reading up on there page and it looks like it is also backwards compatible with their older units. My mom and uncle both have scala Q2 units so I think the G4 is a no brainer.

Now I just have to install my new handlebars.........

9. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Good luck! You won't be disappointed with it. Ride safe! :)

10. dysert macrumors regular

I have a different perspective

I use the IWC Motorcom BTS-300 series because I ride with closed face helmets and wanted a corded microphone and most importantly I wanted hearing protection with excellent sound. I use the S-plug earplug headphones which are superb and provide excellent sound and protection from wind noise. I connect my iphone to a Nuvi 660 GPS, listen to Satellite radio, and take calls all using bluetooth. The battery life on the unit is also excellent. I do not have the need for intercom and can control the units from the GPS without having to take my eyes off the road ahead. I this set up on a Ducati Multistrada 1200s and a BMW s1000rr.

11. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

12. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

That's a good price. A lot cheaper than when I bought mine.

13. astrorider macrumors 6502

I bought the Sena SMH10 recently. Hard to find any fault with it...works great with the iPhone including voice control, easy to operate, skip forward, back, pause, bike-to-bike, rider-passenger, lots of included accessories for charging, etc. I particularly like the fact that unit consists of two parts, the headset/mic and the bluetooth unit itself; so, when I get to work I can leave my helmet in my saddlebags and unclip the bluetooth unit and bring it inside to keep the heat sensitive battery out of the sun. It seemed to get the best reviews when I researched it recently, though I don't have any experience with the Scala units.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/

Here's where I purchased and found the best price:
    http://www.mrhit.com/SENA_SMH10_Intercom_Motorcycle_Helmet_Bluetooth_p/mh-sena-smh10s.htm

14. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Dude, you just made my choice all the much harder! Great recommendation. Also thanks for the link to the killer deal.

I read a long shootout comparison on webikeworld, and they had a tough time with picking Sena vs. Scala.

I love the idea of the jog control, a lot!

I am still leaning toward the scala on account of the compatibility with my uncles older scala and the fact that the scala seems to be the only one that will allow for true 3 bike communication without switching channels.

Im still torn.

15. astrorider macrumors 6502

The Sena can do 4 bike communication, but I'm pretty sure that for pairing any of these headsets together you need to be using the same model of headsets. I'm not really sure why since they're using a bluetooth standard, but I thought that's what I remembered reading. If your uncle has the same scala headset and you want to pair with his, that's probably the way to go to guarantee it will work. Still, I do love the Sena jog-dial control and its features.

16. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

From what I was reading with the sena yes you can do 4 person. But you have to switch who you talk to. You can only have 2 people talking any one time.

With the scala, you can have can have a 3 way conversation.

Tis is how I read it. I could be wrong.

I'm the guinea pig here for my riding group. They will get what I buy and like. Just trying to figure ot which.

17. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Just an update. Got my Scala G4 from ups today and got it installed on my Arai and it's all set up.

It came with the 2.1 software pre installed and I updated to 2.3

The 2.3 made a real difference for iPhone. With 2.1 when you hit the voice control you couldn't hear the tone prompting for iPhone voice commands. Once I updated to 2.3 and now it works perfect.

Cant wait for the first ride. Still waiting on my throttle/clutch/brake line for my new "apes"