Bluetooth mouse and keyboard don't really work at same time?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RipcordAFF, Feb 27, 2009.

1. RipcordAFF macrumors member

Ok, this problem has been driving me crazy. I have a unibook macbook that I wanted to get a wireless keyboard and mouse for. I love the design of the wireless keyboard so I got that one, but I got the Microsoft bluetooth 5000 mouse instead of the mighty mouse due to a few of the poor reviews floating around.

Anyways, so they both arrived today and I set them up, but I am having the most aggravating problem. When they are both connected at the same time, the mouse is jerky, slow to respond and generally irritating to use due to its sloppy and jerky movement. I ran through lots of troubleshooting steps..

Using the latest MSFT drivers for the mouse=no help
    using steermouse = no help

But then things got really weird, so the mouse works PERFECTLY if I disconnect the wireless keyboard from the mac. Not turn it off, just disconnected. So I installed both on another machine thinking that maybe its a bluetooth bandwidth issue, nope, both devices work perfectly on a vista machine. So I grabbed another older bluetooth mouse and paired that with the keyboard on the macbook, THAT mouse works perfectly.

So basically, every other single combination (mouse but no keyboard on the mac, older bluetooth mouse and keyboard on the mac, mouse and keyboard on the vista machine) work except for the one configuration I want (keyboard and new mouse on the macbook).

Does anyone have any idea why this might be? Software is up to date on the macbook as well. I am about to tear my hair out. My first instinct is just that the drivers are bad on the MSFT mouse for OSX, but remember it works perfectly on the macbook if the keyboard is not connected at the same time, (yet its not a bluetooth bandwidth issue b\c it works perfectly with the keyboard on teh vista machine)..

Thanks in advance for your help on this one!

Reed

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Take it back.

I have no real solution other than take the mouse back, and buy a mighty mouse. I spent a month researching it and even the best reviews did not do it justice. There seem to be a few problems which are EXTREMELY easy to fix. If you or anyone ever has a problem with the mighty mouse I should be able to help.