Bluetooth Mouse... How are they now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by omegaphil6, Feb 20, 2008.

1. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

Back in the day a few months after Apple introduced Bluetooth support in OS X (sony ericcson T68i days), I acquired a Macally bluetooth Mouse, it was cool and rechargeable via base but once the computer went to sleep it would take like 30 seconds for the mouse to re-pair itself with the OS once the computer was awoken. Is this still the case now? Can Bluetooth mice wake a computer by clicking one of its buttons now, like RF mice? I had a Logitech RF mouse Keyboard combo, but i just got a new iMac and i am using the Apple aluminum keyboard with it and the Logitech mouse from the combo... but if bluetooth is more rebust now I would prefer getting rid of the logitech RF deal altogether (freeing up a USB port) and relying on the builtin bluetooth...

Any thoughts?????

Mouse suggestions?

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

From what I've read and experienced the two top mice are the Blue MM and the VX Rev. I've tried both and in the end I returned the VX Rev and kept the MM. The MM seems to be a very "like it or hate it", I like the simplicity and the right click works well for me. I know there have been issues with it.

3. Olvenskol macrumors member

I use the bluetooth mighty mouse on my three machines (2 MPB and an iMac). I don't notice significant delays in waking up the mouse, though at times there is a small delay when everything has been asleep (small = 1 to 2 seconds).

I usually wake the machine by hitting the shift key, so I'm not sure about the mouse in that case :)

I had one upgrade where I needed to dig out a USB mouse to get through it (from Tiger to Leopard iirc). And VMFusions was not happy with the mouse until I got the VMTools installed. Otherwise, I've not had any issues with it.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

The BT MM is great. I originally thought it was a tad heavy with the two batteries in it, then I was (correctly) informed that the MM was quite happy with only one battery fitted. Yes I need to replace the battery more often, but that's not a problem .. :)

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Just to let you know, Logitech is most likely coming out with a Bluetooth MX Revolution soon (maybe by summer?). Personally, I'm hoping for a Bluetooth VX Nano.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the VX rev is not bluetooth. In addition to the MM, two choices are the MS bluetooth 5000 and the logitech V470. You could also look at Razer's BT mouse.

All of them can be used to wake the computer, and certainly do not take 30 seconds to become responsive again. If I were going bluetooth again (I had an old MS BT mouse, and a BT MM, but neither was very good) I'd check out the MS 5000 linked above, just because it's the only one with more than 3 buttons (my wired mouse has 8 buttons, and I'd like more!).

Oh, and as for the BT MX revolution - it already exists, but can only be had as part of the MX 5500 wireless desktop set, which costs $170 (and I don't really care for the keyboard, but YMMV).

7. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

It is a little heavy, and the batteries are used up quickly. But, I make it a habit of turning off my MM when I'm not using it (closing the laser eye) which seems to really help with the battery life.

8. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

i bought the apple bluetooth mighty mouse from another member here on MR and I haven't had an problems with it so far.

9. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

I think that as long as you like the look and feel of the Mighty Mouse, I would go for the Bluetooth version without hesitation. The bluetooth portion is great, really only a quick delay after waking. But, the nature of the MM, wired or not, is conducive to scrolling problems. Many people have problems after using them for a while where they can't scroll up or down without some vigorous cleaning of the scroll ball, which sometimes fixes the problem and sometimes not so much.

10. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

The MS 5000 bluetooth mouse is garbage - horrible scrool wheel, locks up if you're not scrolling perfectly straight. The cursor bounces all over the screen with procesor load (games are impossible) and when I tethered to my phone for internet, the mouse was unuseable.

I returned it and picked up a logitech V470 and you don't even notice it's a bluetooth mouse, works fantastic.

11. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

I've been looking for an alternative to the MM, so I'll probably pick up the V470. Thanks for the suggestion!