Bluetooth Mouse Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by help!!, Mar 3, 2009.

1. help!! macrumors newbie

I have had a mightmouse for 2 years now with no problems. Recently I have been getting a window that pops up saying "bluetooth not available" - and this is after I have been using my mouse successfully for a while (hour, 4 hours, 3 days). The bluetooth icon in the top right of the menu bar has a jagged "lightning bolt" looking thing through it. Is this a problem with my mouse, my computer, or just me being dumb. THANKS!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you have a device (such as the Bluetooth chip) not being detected, the first thing to do is an SMC reset. Steps differ depending on if your computer is a portable/desktop and also if the portable has a removable battery. If you can remove the battery, do so, and also unplug the MagSafe adapter, and any connected peripherals. Hold down the power button for 5 seconds, release, start up the computer again. IF you cannot remove the battery, hold down on the control, option, and Left shift keys (with the computer off) and tap the power button. Wait 5, then power it back up. If the issue persists, its probably time to have the Bluetooth chip in the computer looked at, I don't think the hardware test checks it...

3. help!! thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

The reset seemed to work. That was the same direction that I was given when I was having issues with my screen flickering (like the dimmer buttons were being hit repeatedly). What does the SMC reset do?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Resetting the SMC is probably the first step to take whenever a built-in or connected device isn't detected by a Mac. It re-initializes all the power distribution in the system, which sometimes flushes bad data that's telling a port or device to be inactive.