Bluetooth Mouse Suggestions? Non 4.0 BT

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eyeseeyou, Mar 25, 2016.

1. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

So I just purchased a Logitech mx 2 Bluetooth mouse and come to find out it won't connect to my early 2011 MacBook through Bluetooth only through the dongle taking up one of my USB ports. Dang you apple!!!

I'd prefer Logitech but does anyone have suggestions that would be compatible with a non 4.0 BT device?

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

I don't have any mouse advice for you, but I'd like to mention that the internal Bluetooth card in your machine can be upgraded to one with BT 4.0 for ~30-40 USD, if you're interested.

3. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68000

Where's the tutorial?

For early 2011 MacBook Pro?

4. JTToft, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016

JTToft macrumors 68040

- You need a card with part number BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX. I purchased from this seller for my machine, but there's a cheaper listing here.

You didn't mention which size machine you have, so here are instructions for: 13" and 15".

You can also gain the newer OS X Continuity features including Handoff, Instant Hotspot, and AirDrop between OS X and iOS by using this Continuity Activation Tool developed by MacRumors members.

5. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68000

It's is a 15" early 2011 MacBook Pro.

Is there a tutorial online?

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yes, I just posted all the relevant guides...

7. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68000

Sorry with this whole broken link thing I wasn't able to see what you've linked on my iOS device.

I just placed an order for a BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX card.

For me at least I want to be able to connect to Bluetooth 4.0 devices over the the continuity/airdrop functionality. Hopefully this functionally will be enabled right after the install.

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- BT 4.0 as such will work instantly after you install the card. For Continuity, since Apple has blacklisted your model in OS X, you just need to run the activation tool I also linked to and follow its guides (be sure to read the documentation on the website). It works perfectly on my machine.
    You will need to spend 5 minutes to re-run the activation tool after installing OS X updates, as they disable the "hack".