Bluetooth Mouse That Works on Any Surface

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boba7523, May 30, 2011.

1. boba7523 macrumors regular

Hi guys, I have a MBP and would like to get a wireless bluetooth mouse for it. I know there are millions of threads about the best mouse for MBP but they're really not specific enough and don't fit the functionality I'm looking for, which are below:

The two critical things I need in a mouse are:
    1.) Has 2 buttons on the side for back & forward that works on the MBP. I have mice that have buttons on the side but they don't work with MBP.
    2.) Works on any surface and will not fly around the screen when not used on a mousepad.

If you guys know of any, please LMK!! Thanks!!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not Bluetooth, but the USB receiver is so tiny, I leave it plugged in and forget about it. It also has programmable buttons and works on any surface, including glass. Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX™
    [​IMG]

3. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

I realize you said buttons, but how about the Magic Mouse?

It has two finger swipe left/right for back/forward. Works on any surface (except for glass). Not to mention the amount of advanced gestures you can create with BetterTouchTool or MagicPrefs.

4. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

I've thought about magic mouse but my friend says it's not as "magical" as it sounds haha.... What do you think about the Mighty Mouse?

Thanks, actually as long as it's wireless, I'll take it! I just don't like having to deal with wires when I'm outside my home... Have you tried customizing the buttons to work with MBP? Like Back/Forward functionality.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, they work perfectly. Here's the configuration panel:
    ScreenCap 47.png

6. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

I've had great experiences with both the Magic and Mighty Mouse. Although you might have a bit of difficulty setting up the Mighty Mouse for back/forward use, I believe it can be done.

I really suggest trying the Magic Mouse out for yourself at an Apple Store or something. I was a little skeptical of it at first after coming from the Mighty Mouse, but now, I actually have trouble going back to the old Mighty Mouse!

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The Magic mouse can't track like the Darkfield mice.

8. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

But then again Logitech Anywhere MX doesn't have horizontal scroll... Ugh decisions decisions...

I went to Best Buy to check out both mice today... Magic Mouse was not as smooth in terms of tracking - i'm not sure if it was the surface or whatever... Didn't get to test out the MX Anywhere though ... This is really tough - both have its pros and cons......

9. MacsAreBetter\ macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

I would reccomend anything by Logitech that has the 'DarkField' technology. Personal favourite is the M950, very good browsing / gaming mouse.

Check out their website; http://www.logitech.com/en-au/349/6135

10. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it does.

12. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Not a big fan of the Apple Magic Mouse. I've been using it with my 2011 15" Macbook pro for a couple weeks now and it just annoys me most of the time enough to where I usually end up going back to using the built in track pad, so I'm probably going to buy the Magic Track Pad.

The Magic Mouse does NOT work on my glass desk so I have to use a mouse pad, which severely distracts from the clean and sleek look I was going for on my desk... In addition, I find myself constantly longing for the pinch, and the 3 and 4 finger gestures found on the track pad, and of course magic mouse only does 2 finger scroll and 2 finger back and forward when browsing...

I've also occasionally found the 2 finger gestures not as responsive as they should be...

13. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Tracking is definitely not smooth with the magic mouse, that's one of my biggest complaints which will ultimately lead to me buying the magic track pad.

14. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

Can you tell me where? All i see is vertical scroll; I even asked Best Buy associate, they confirmed no horizontal scroll

15. boba7523, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

I found out that using the gestures on the magic mouse gave my fingers a little bit of a workout, and if done excessively, actually tires my fingers out... On the MBP track pad, I could move my whole forearm when doing gestures, but on the Magic Mouse, my hand is literally attached to the mouse, so having to hold the mouse with my palms and do the gestures puts unnecessary strains on my fingers over prolong use.

That said, I'm probably going to go for the Logitech MX Anywhere unless you guys can convince me otherwise haha. :eek:

Oh, and I love that the Darkforce can allow me to use the mouse on any surface - I'll be bringing this mouse to school, so NOT bringing a mousepad with me would be great.

BTW, does the Logitech MX Anywhere work for Mac? I was on logitech site and was doing a search. The regular MX Performance is Mac Compatible, but it doesn't seem like the MX Anywhere is... Can anyone confirm?