Bluetooth Mouse - Which do you use?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by afuturestrader, Mar 24, 2008.

1. afuturestrader macrumors member

Which Bluetooth mouse do you use?

I just purchased a Macbook Pro and would like to pair it with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Fewer items to plug and unplug is better.

For the keyboard my thought is to use an older Apple BT keyboard - I would like the number pad that the current keyboard is missing.

Are there any Bluetooth mice that work well?

The mighty mouse gets very mixed reviews.

My peference would be for a mouse comfortable enough to use for extended time periods, and holds its connection. The ability to recharge the batteries would be a plus.

Thanks

2. macgroovy macrumors member

I recently bought the Logitech V470 and it works very well and feels very comfortable. I have used the mighty mouse before but the V470 feels more comfortable after extended use.

It doesn't come with a recharger but you could buy a generic recharger seperately.

3. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I have a Logitech V270 and a Logitech V470. I like the 270 more, it just feels sturdier and heavier. Also seems to move more smoothly on my macbook.

One thing I don't like about the 270 is the scroll wheel makes more of a clicking sound, where the 470 is more silent. The 470 matches my macbook so that's a big plus too, and it scrolls left and right but it moves very slow.

I love simple logitech mice, so that's all I pretty much use. I used my V270 mouse a few hours a day at least, never shutting it off, and batteries lasted a solid 6 months. So don't worry about needing a recharger.

4. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

5. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    mine just uses 2 AA batteries,use rechargeable batteries and your good to go. Silent click wheel, worked right out of the box with my Mac Book.
    I would have liked just all black to go with my Black book, but the blue will do.:rolleyes:

6. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

I too was looking for a good BT mouse to use with my PB G4. I ultimately ended up with the Logitech VX Revolution - I know, I know, it's not BT!

Still, it has a USB dongle that resides within the mouse when you aren't using it, so there's nothing 'extra' to carry other than the mouse. The linkage is GREAT & I find it very comfortable to use, even for long periods of time.

I would definitely recommend looking at it - I love mine & don't mind that it isn't BT.

Good luck!

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't like the V470 because it doesn't have an extra reprogrammable button. Even my (very) old MX300 has one.

The Microsoft NoteBook Mouse 5000 has that extra button. I'm looking into buying it. I'm not even sure if I need it.

8. operator207 macrumors 6502

My problem is finding a mouse for left handed people thats also bluetooth, and not tiny.

I checked out this one in a store this last weekend: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=085

Its small but not too small.

I might try this one, though I am not sure about the charging station, and dragging it around:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=084

Anyone have any others I can go look at?

I am not really into the buttons, just the bluetooth, and ability to be used with my left hand.

9. afuturestrader thread starter macrumors member

You could explain this further? I am not following you.

My interest in BT is solely so I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging the keyboard and mouse from the laptop. Would the Revolution help here?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far

10. irontony macrumors member

I tried using the MS Notebook 8000 bluetooth mouse. I got it to sync with Leopard without the dongle but it was too jumpy - even when I did use the dongle it was performing bad. Also its too small for larger hands and the back button is in an awkward spot. I can not recommend the MS mouse just for the jumpiness.

Oh yeah I cant stand the MM - the right click is impossible to for my hands. My other mate loves it tho - go figure :eek:

I now use Logitech MX Revolution. Its not Bluetooth but it performs like a champ.

Good Luck

11. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

The VX has a small USB 'dongle' that you plug into your computer's USB port that essentially acts as a receiver for the mouse. You can see a picture of it on Logitech's spec page for the mouse:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/394/165&cl=us,en

However, when you're done using the mouse, the dongle snaps into the mouse itself, so there's nothing 'extra' to carry with you in your carrying case.

Does that help?

12. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

This is what I'd do. Go to your local Best Buy - or similar store - and get a mouse or two to try out. Keep the packages, etc in good condition and after a day or two keep the one you want. I have the BT MM and I like it, it's not the best mouse in the world but it works with my MB fine.

13. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Ahh...me too!!!

I wouldn't go any other way, it has NEVER given my any problems.

14. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I have to agree. I bought my Mighty Mouse a few days before my MacBook got here, and WOW, absolutely love it. I wish I could use it on every computer I touch. It is comfortable, responsive, sleek, clean, and ultimately bluetooth! I just flick it on and flick it off. No stupid dongle to mess with. Even the Logitech VX Nano has a dongle, albeit small, dongle nonetheless.

15. atluten macrumors 6502

I currently use the bluetooth version of the mighty mouse and have to say that overall, I am satisfied with it. I have not noticed any lagginess in my daily activities of web surfing, email, and document creation. The tracking seems very precise. However, I would have to say that I try to avoid holding it for extended periods of time, as my hand can get a little sore. Additionally, the scroll ball unfortunately does accumulate gunk and needs to be cleaned periodically. Usually, this manifests as me not being able to scroll down or general unresponsiveness to scrolling. Fortunately, this happens infrequently. I hope this helps!

16. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Another vote for the MM, although I too have experienced occasional unresponsive moments with the scroll ball.

17. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

I'm using the Razer Pro|Click Mobile Bluetooth mouse (the black one, to match my blackbook). I also have the Logitech V470. More discussion in another MacRumors thread here.

Basically, I've found that my V470 seems to go into some type of power save (???) mode after not being touched for a while, then when I go to use, it doesn't react for a split second and then catches up after the mouse cursor is partway across the screen. After that its fine, but you just can't click and expect an immediate response if its been sitting still for a short while. I find if I wiggle the V470 for just a second before I start using it, then its no problem. But it doesn't seem normal to use a mouse this way, at least its not intuitive.

Between the two I like the Razer Bluetooth mouse better, but it is more expensive than the V470 (on Amazon.com, Apple.com, etc.).

18. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Another vote for the Razer Proclick BT mouse. It's 1200 dpi and batteries last for ages.

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I currently use the Logitech V270 BT mouse and I'm very unhappy with it. Its too small for my hand, feels realy cheap, its very loud when scrolling or clicking and it has tracking speed issues (like on any other new logitech mouse I've tried) - on the slowest position its super slow, while on the second slowest is VERY fast. I use MouseZoom to set the tracking speed in between those too positions, but this disabled my cursor acceleration :mad::mad:

I'm currently in the process of choosing another mouse. VX revolution is too small, MX Revolution is too short on the right side and I wish where was no second scroll wheel. BT mighty mouse si rather heavy and its very low for my hand, the scroll ball is too small and gets dirty very fast, lifting my left finger for the secondary click is annoying.

20. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

One vote for the Kensington Slimblade trackball mouse.

I recently switched to this one from the Mighty Mouse. Two things about the MM really bugged me. One was that the top scroll ball kept 'gunking' up and needing to be cleaned out to work. The other was the side squeeze buttons that activated the dashboard. I kept squeezing them unintentionally, particularly when trying to click and drag something.

The Kensingston works well and is very comfortable. I don't find myself using the trackball feature very much, but it's nice to have. :D

21. Nydator macrumors member

Both the Logitech V270 and V470 are symmetrical, so they can be used left-handed as well as right. I use the V270 with my MBP and my wife uses the V470 with her MB Air. I like them both. The V270 looks better (with the aluminum MBP at least), but I find the V470 more comfortable to use - it has a better shape and seems to move, scroll and click more smoothly.

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I use the bluetooth mighty mouse with the alu BT keyboard (took a couple of days to get used to not having a numeric pad but now I love it). As a left hander, a lot of the BT mice are horrible to use, and I love the symmetry of the Mighty Mouse and the scrollball is fantastic. A lot of people have problems with the Mighty Mouse ball getting clogged, but I find that a quick spray of iKlear and some vigorous rubbing on a piece of kitchen towel sorts any problems out

23. Macmel macrumors 6502

I have the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 and it works beautifully so far. It's a laser mouse, by the way.
    No problems at all. I have also configured the extra button to use with Expose so I have fast access to all windows.
    It is newer than MM and I think that's important, especially taking into account all the connectivity problems reported by old BT mice. As I said, no problems with this one so far.

24. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352