BlueTooth Mouse? Which one? I hate the Mighty Mouse...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JoshFink, Nov 14, 2007.

1. JoshFink macrumors regular

I currently have a "cordless" 3 button mouse that I use.. The mighty mouse irks me and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a better "windows like" mouse.

Thanks

Josh

2. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

the mighty mouse has the right click built in, and the scroll bar goes up and down and sideways. You can also depress it to access your dashboard, and the side buttons activate expose. Its just about the mouse out there that give you full desktop control.

3. Draddy macrumors regular

yeah, but the mighty mouse sucks.... I've owned one for 4 months now and hate it... but I spent 70 bucks on it, so might as well use it.

Right clicking is sporadic at best, it usually takes 5 clicks to get the menu open.... It's not a mechanical problem, the mouse is fine.. but the sensitivity range is so large that your hand always touches the left button... so you literally have to lift your whole hand off the mouse, and then press down with just one finger on the right button.

anybody who wants to buy my BT mighty mouse is more than welcome to.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Logitech MX Revolution.

It's pretty comfortable, got plenty of buttons for mapping expose', dashboard, and all that fun.

Battery life seems to last quite a while on a charge.

It's not bluetooth, it's 2.4ghz wireless. (with a dongle that connects to your USB port)

The range is pretty good as well.

I tried a couple of bluetooth mice, but bluetooth doesn't seem to have the power or bandwidth - they all seemed "laggy" to me, so I finally gave up on em.

Only other recommendation would be - if the logitech software stinks, or the mouse response is terrible - Try Steermouse - some of us (not all) seem to have problems with the Logitech drivers on Macs. I am one of those people, and Steermouse fixed it right up.

5. amiskwia macrumors newbie

6. JoshFink thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate it.

Too bad Microsoft doesn't have a full size BlueTooth mouse.. Would be nice.

I currently have a Logitech MX Revolution. I would just like something non "wireless". I really just don't like it plugging into my USB port. I like to be able to grab the mouse and go to other computers around the house with it.

Not a huge deal but I wanted to see what else was out there.

Thanks

Josh

7. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Man I have a VX and I had no idea that the mouse can do all that. Got any pointers on how to short cut for expose/dashboard?

To op, there is a new version of the logitech revo...the vx nano, where you can leave the usb connected because it is very low profile. Great looking mouse, a fast alternative to bluetooth.

8. jhkingsr macrumors regular

They do. I have one.

MS 8000 Bluetooth Mouse

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Does the middle mouse wheel scroll as well as using two fingers on a trackpad?

10. jhkingsr macrumors regular

Better!

11. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Tiger and Leopard will not be able to identify / map all your mouse buttons without either Steermouse or Logitech drivers. Next - my settings likely differ from yours - so here is my "expose & spaces" control panel from Leopard:

All Windows: F9 (mouse button 9)
    Application Windows: F10 (mouse button 3)
    Show Desktop: F11 (mouse button 13)
    Dashboard: F12 (mouse button 11)
    Activate Spaces: cmd + F9 (scroll wheel pressed in)

Now in SteerMouse Control Panel

Left Button: click
    Right Button: contextual menu
    Scroll Wheel Left: Scroll Left
    Scroll Wheel Right: Scroll Right
    Scroll Wheel Down: cmd + F9 (switch between spaces)
    Thumb Button Forward: cmd + [ (safari / finder page forward)
    Thumb Button Backward: cmd + ] (safari / finder page backward)
    Thumb Wheel Forward: f9 (show all windows)
    Thumb Wheel Backward: f12 (show dashboard)
    Thumb Wheel In: f11 (show desktop)
    Search Button: cmd + opt + space (launch spotlight)

Sorry for the long winded button mapping. But that should give you a basic idea what I'm using my MX Revolution for. :D

12. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Even though that's not the model I have (VX Revolution) I would heartily recommend a Logitech mouse. They have always had very excellent products, and their latest laser-based offerings are no exception.

EDIT: I would never own another Apple or Kensington mouse.

13. sabesh macrumors regular

14. jhkingsr macrumors regular

Here's the latest version and it works with Leopard. MS IntelliPoint for OSX

15. sabesh macrumors regular

Thx very much!

16. danny_w macrumors 601

17. ascender macrumors 68000

I've tried an MS bluetooth mouse before, but it seems to take ages to wake up from sleep. Is this a problem with all bluetooth mice?

Previously I tried a wireless one, but the reception seemed to be awful and it kept losing the connection.

And finally, I've tried the Mighty Mouse, but I really miss having the two buttons on the one side which I can map to forward & back in browsers.

So, does anyone have the perfect mouse which solves all of these problems?!

18. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

19. jhkingsr macrumors regular

I tried to like the MS 8000 but I couldn't get used to the feel after using the MX Revolution. The MX is just too versatile and I can't consider anything else.

20. ascender macrumors 68000

Is there much delay with the Logitech Revolution after its gone to sleep and you have to move it to wake it?

21. jhkingsr macrumors regular

22. ascender macrumors 68000

Thanks for the info. I'll pick one of these up tomorrow to try.

23. jhkingsr macrumors regular

Just want to make sure you realize the MX isn't bluetooth. It's wireless but requires a dongle.

24. ascender macrumors 68000

Yip, that's fine. Don't have a problem with that at all so long as its reliable, which it seems to be from all the positive mentions of it on here!

25. docprego macrumors 65816

I have been using a Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse with my 24" iMac since I got it 3 months ago. I am not really enjoying it anymore. At first I thought it was great and for most people I am sure it would be more than acceptable. However it has some quirks that I don't like. For one I use rechargeables and they last about 2 weeks. Secondly it is not as accurate as a $10 logitech corded optical mouse that I am now using. I find that the pointer skips around a bit at times, particularly towards the end of the battery charge. Third I am tired of waiting for it to become active after booting up my iMac. While in real numbers it probably takes 15-20 seconds, it gets tiresome sitting there waiting for your mouse to move. Finally because the computer is I guess always polling the Bluetooth devices it has attached to it, the computer wakes up from sleep mode when the mouse is polled. So I disable Bluetooth devices from being able to wake the computer and that solved it. The issue with this is that I can't click my mouse to wake th computer now as I like to do. Instead I have to press a key on the keyboard, not a huge deal but not something I was used to.

On the plus side, it looks very nice in silver to match the new iMac and it has a nice quality feel to it.