Bluetooth Mouse with Mac Pro = Fail?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VirtualRain, Nov 2, 2009.

1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

About a month back, I purchased a wireless mighty mouse and tried using it with my 2009 Mac Pro. The lag and tracking were terrible... making it unusable. :(

When connected to my MacBook Air (on the same desk) it worked flawlessly. :confused:

I assumed at the time there was a problem with the bluetooth on my Mac Pro so I've been meaning to get Apple Support on the case but just haven't got around to it (using the old wired mouse as before).

Now, I'm reading some stories on the peripherals forum that owners of Mac Pro's have issues with lag and tracking with the new Magic Mouse, and some are stating that it's a known problem with the Mac Pro chassis that it doesn't enable adequate bluetooth operation due to all the metal. Is this true?

What's your experience using a bluetooth mouse with the Mac Pro?

2. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

The hundred bucks or so for the wireless mouse/keyboard in march was a complete waste of money. Never has worked right on my 2009 mac pro. A truly crappy apple product when coupled to a 2009 mac pro.

3. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Not only on the current Mac Pros, but I had trouble with the bluetooth in my Power Mac G5. The metal case does not allow adequate bluetooth connectivity for the Magic (or Mighty) Mouse. Bluetooth mice need a nearly constant bluetooth connection while keyboards, not so much.

Suggested work around: A USB bluetooth dongle. A good idea to use an extension cable and/or a USB Hub. The only disadvantage is no wake from bluetooth devices unless you're using an old DBT-120 rev B2-B4. Not sure how you could disable the stock bluetooth, though.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's horrendous. I bought the Magic Mouse; what a POS. Maybe it was the Mac Pro, but I had already replace the Bluetooth module in it.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

No... I dare say I ain't suffered from any of those claims but then again I am using the old mighty mouse and your talking about the magic mouse (looks like a door wedge):D

6. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

So they don't do a wired magic mouse?

I tried a bluetooth kg/mouse setup with my Mac Pro when I first got it. That lasted for all of about 4 days – ended up buying a wired alu keyboard/wired logitec mouse.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I take it there's gonna be a MKII of the mouse soon!!!

8. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

2 Mac Pros - 2 Fails.

I have a MacPro1,1 and a MacPro4,1 - both have awful Bluetooth reception. It's a product of their design - the antenna is shielded by all the metal around it.

So I went to MicroCenter and bought a Zoom Class 1 100M USB Bluetooth transceiver. It only sticks about 1cm out of the port. But it ROCKS. And 10.6 will disable its internal BT radio when it detects an external one.

One thing that I've been fighting with: I can't connect an Apple Wireless Mouse (BT) to either Mac - it was paired to an iMac G5 some time ago, and it even has the name of the previous user in it. How can I reset this? I can't pair it with anything, no matter what I try.

JP

9. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

It's good to hear that 10.6 disables internal bluetooth when an external bluetooth dongle is detected. I have not a clue to provide for your bluetooth mouse, though. I don't see why it would have any trouble reconnecting with a different computer. Take your chances of just getting laughed at, but go to the Genius Bar? As long as one of one of your Macs are under Apple Care, it's peripherals are too. Those peripherals include keyboard and mouse.

10. tezro macrumors regular

tezro

I have the same thing with 2.4GHz wireless mice. (except Logitech Laser 1000)
    And that is obviously using a external antenna module.
    It's jerky like hell.

Plugging the same mouse in my MacBook and no problem.
    And all devices are on the same desk.

Sorry, I know this is about Bluetooth but it keeps annoying me.

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Yeah, I posed about my Magic Mouse with 2006 Mac Pro.

Most people's conclusion is that the bad tracking is caused by the rubbish BT on Mac Pro's. Apparently there's a wiring trick that can help in my particular model.

I'm back to wired and, tbh, I don't think many Mac Pro users will appreciate the Magic Mouse's lack of button 3 and 4, anyway.

12. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Heh..
    I still find it awesome how useless the Macpros BT (and airport in the older machines) is after all these years...
    There were a lot of complaints back in ´06 and it still continues.
    Imagine,their "flagship" and it can not even use Apples own peripherals.

Luckily you can use dongled mice.

13. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

This goes for anybody, but if you want to suggest or bring attention to something...

www.apple.com/feedback

14. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Are you taking a piss or what?

You think we (my studio) havent had over half a dozen machines ,since 06,everyone having the same issue?
    You think we havent plagued applecare,engineers and resellers on the issues?
    You think I am the only user experiencing it?
    You think me,and the hundreds like me on this forum since august 2006 have not sent hundreds and thousands useless emails to apple on the subject?

Huh?

15. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Whoah, alright there. I'm very happy that you've toiled over sending feedback for the bluetooth reception in the Mac Pro for three whole years. Plaguing their systems with constant nags of terrible accessory performance.

For the rest of the people reading these forums though, looking for a way to solve issues with their bluetooth mice, a link to the feedback site is all I'd posted.

The more people that proclaim an issue with their bluetooth, the greater the possibility of a class action recall or a change in hardware design. As I'd stated in the post above yours, it goes for anyone to send feedback and it wasn't entirely a direct comment.

16. em5photog macrumors regular

em5photog

I am using the new magic mouse on my early 2008 mac pro octo. My mac pro is under my desk on the opposite side of my mouse. I have no lag that I can notice. I do miss the extra buttons on the mighty mouse. So I debating keeping it.

17. sboerup macrumors 6502

Funny, I've been using the magic mouse for 3 days. Best wireless mouse I've tried. I've tried RF Logitech's and the skipping was just not up to par. Was using a new G500 and loved it. Tried the Magic Mouse as I love my MB trackpad. Magic Mouse is staying on the desk, no skipping, precise, multitouch is fun!

18. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The trick is to disconnect the aerial labelled BT from the bluetooth module and connect the spare WiFi aerial instead.

I had my 2006 Mac Pro replaced to try and fix this issue, though the replacement had the same problem, and an authorised repair centre couldn't fix it either. So I switched the aerial myself.

I've been happily using a Bluetooth mouse, keyboard and graphics tablet with mine for the last few years. The current aluminium Bluetooth keyboard and Magic mouse work fine.

19. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Cool! Is there any difference in airport connectivity? I know it's the secondary/spare antenna, but does it interrupt the throughput at all?

20. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

The Magic Mouse is BT only. The older wired Mighty Mouse
    remains for sale rebranded as the Apple mouse.

21. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

2006 Mac Pro 1,1 here. I installed Apple's Bluetooth module myself (it didn't come installed, I ordered it a couple days after I purchased the Mac Pro). My Magic Mouse sits 40-45" from the lower right corner of my Mac Pro (the Mac Pro is on top of the same desktop surface as the Magic Mouse, but way off to the left). The Magic Mouse works PERFECTLY with my Mac Pro. No loss of signal, no jumpiness, no issues whatsoever!

Further, I've used the Mac Pro's Bluetooth to sync several other devices over the last couple of years and I've never had an issue of any kind.

Now, the IMPORTANT point here is I installed the Apple Bluetooth module myself! As Dark Dragon mentions, Apple screwed up. I made sure NOT to connect the antenna labeled "BT". You see, Apple accidentally mislabeled the Bluetooth antenna lead in some (all?) early Mac Pros. And if you have the wrong antenna lead connected, you get crappy Bluetooth performance. See this link:

http://www.mcelhearn.com/2007/04/19/apple-bungles-bluetooth-in-mac-pro/

So, some of you having issues with your Mac Pro just might want to stop blaming the Magic Mouse and open up your Mac Pro and check which antenna lead is connected to your Mac Pro's Bluetooth module!

Mark

22. slicecom macrumors 68020

Its important to note that this varies from MacPro to MacPro. When I initially installed my bluetooth module, I followed the instructions above and didn't use the BT wire (used 1 or 2 instead, can't remember. whatever one the instructions said) and the performance was terrible. My inputs would sometimes be delayed when typing within 2 feet of the computer and using my keyboard from the couch was impossible (the couch is only about 8 feet away).

I opened it back up, and connected the BT wire to the bluetooth module and now it works from the other side of the house with no issues.

23. cyberdodel macrumors newbie

How can I see that the internal BT radio is disabled? I use a DLink DBT120 -USB-Bluetooth which works fine with the Magic Mouse but "wakeup the computer from sleep" is grayed.

cyberdodel

24. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I feel compelled to point out that historically,  peripherals have not been the best-performing in their class. Would somebody like to comment on their experience with Bluetooth peripherals from Logitech or Kensington using internal BT and not a bundled dongle? Also, they did release that update which supposedly helped.

25. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

You'll see the name of the Bluetooth radio change in the Bluetooth Control Panel at the top. Unfortunately, the wake from sleep feature is greyed out on mine too, so external / USB dongles I suppose don't support that.

I'm very interested in this antenna swap thingie. I have the wifi card installed as well, but if there's a spare lead, I'm all over it. Will check into that.

JP