Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
I have Logitech MX5500 bluetooth keyboard and mouse connect to my Air via Steermouse.

Past week, the bluetooth is acting weird. When waking from sleep mode, sometimes they connect, most of the time, they won’t. I click on the bluetooth logo to manually connect, but the bluetooth option pop up 30 seconds later, not instantly.

I had to restart my Air to re-establish the connection. Anyone else encounter similar issue?

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
My MBP's bluetooth once gave my trouble with file transfers and refused to make connections. After a restart, the problem went away and hasn't happened again.

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
I can turn BT off. But can’t turn it back on. Have to restart. Anyone else experience this?

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Have you tried resetting the SMC

SMC -- http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411:
[ responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some
charging aspects, trackpad control, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping. ]
1. Turn off MacBook Air.
2. Connect the power adapter and plug it in.
3. On the LEFT side of the keyboard (Yes, the left side only), hold down Shift, Option and Control.
4. Press the power button.
5. Wait 5 seconds, then release all keys.
6. Push power button to turn your MacBook Air back on.
7. Login, let boot fully up then shutdown.

And/or the PRAM

PRAM and NVRAM == http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379:
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
And not only does my BT works now, my air recognizes my Time capsule HD.

Before, I have to manually go to finder and log in 1st before time machine can find it. This also started last week.

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Hmmm,… seems like the time machine HD issue is not actually fixed.

I still have to manually log in from my finder before time machine can detect the time capsule.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Have you tried resetting the SMC

SMC -- http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411:
[ responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some
charging aspects, trackpad control, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping. ]
1. Turn off MacBook Air.
2. Connect the power adapter and plug it in.
3. On the LEFT side of the keyboard (Yes, the left side only), hold down Shift, Option and Control.
4. Press the power button.
5. Wait 5 seconds, then release all keys.
6. Push power button to turn your MacBook Air back on.
7. Login, let boot fully up then shutdown.

And/or the PRAM

PRAM and NVRAM == http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379:
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

Resetting both SMC and PRAM fixed my problem - my BlueTooth mouse stopped being recognized and I had to re-pair at every boot-up the last three days. Now, it's back to normal. Thanks, stoconnell, for the reminder!

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Sigh, mine wasn’t actually fixed. I brought it into Apple store and they will replace my BT.

They said there’s a new revision of BT hardware and I will get that new hardware installed in my MBA.

Wish me luck.

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
I think the new firmware might have solved my problem.

But I already scheduled to change my MBA airport into the newer model version today. So I have the latest revision airport card.

So far so good. But just 30 min playing with it.

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
The problem is still alive. Still can’t wake my Air from sleep via bluetooth.

My MX5500 keyboard LCD indicate No connection when i press on a key.

Sigh, headache.

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
So after 4 visits to Apple store, hours on the phone, they replaced my bluetooth flex cable. And told me if this doesn’t solve my problem, they will replace my Air.

My question, will they gimme the current one? A refurbished? If the new MBA is released later this month, can I request for that new MBA for all my trouble?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.