Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brezz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
I've mentioned this in few threads, but thought I would create a separate thread. I can tether no problem with USB, but I can't get the bluetooth to work on my Mac or PC. I can pair the device on the Mac, but it is then not able to connect.

Any help on how to do this or settings I should modify?

Brian

brezz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Is it a 3.0 issue or something to do with the tethering workaround?

Brian

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
It is working for me. I am typing this on my lappy with internet tethering turned on on my iphone via Bluetooth. i have no cords attached.

Go into Bluetooth settings in System Preferences and make sure that you connect them at the same time. Or it won't work. I will attach some pictures as proof.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    434.2 KB · Views: 83
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 58
  • Picture 1 copy.png
    Picture 1 copy.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 88

shaotse

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
After you've paired

your phone and computer, just select your phone name from the bluetooth icon menu on your taskbar and it should connect just fine.

Slayerboym88

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
My bluetooth won't stay connected between my Macbook and my iPhone. I click my Macbook on my iPhone, and my MB will show that it's connected to my iPhone for only about 3 seconds before it disconnects. Any suggestions?

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
My bluetooth won't stay connected between my Macbook and my iPhone. I click my Macbook on my iPhone, and my MB will show that it's connected to my iPhone for only about 3 seconds before it disconnects. Any suggestions?

Yeah that kept happening to me too. What I did was to press the computer name on the iphone and to click the connect button on the bluetooth system preferences *at the same time*. This worked for me.

brezz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah that kept happening to me too. What I did was to press the computer name on the iphone and to click the connect button on the bluetooth system preferences *at the same time*. This worked for me.

It's weird, mine is doing the exact same thing. I wlll connect for like 5 seconds and then it times out. No idea what to do.

Brian

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
It's weird, mine is doing the exact same thing. I wlll connect for like 5 seconds and then it times out. No idea what to do.

Brian

Did you hit connect on the iPhone and the Mac at the same time? I went through the same issues as you at first but when I hit them at the same time, they stayed connected.

brezz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Did you hit connect on the iPhone and the Mac at the same time? I went through the same issues as you at first but when I hit them at the same time, they stayed connected.

Yup, hitting them at the same time and they just don't want to stay connected.

Brian

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Okay let me try this one more time and figure out what exactly got it working for me. Be right back. I will edit this message when I have it working again.

EDIT: Okay. I have it working again. I had no problem now. I didn't even press them at the same time. I just hit connect on this window and it connected right off the bat.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 52

Slayerboym88

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
Okay let me try this one more time and figure out what exactly got it working for me. Be right back. I will edit this message when I have it working again.

Thanks so much for your help. If you wouldn't mind posting a pic of which "connect" button you're clicking on the MB side of things, that would be great. I don't know if maybe I'm just looking at the wrong menu or what?!

And thanks so much again!

EDIT:
THANKS SO MUCH!!! I wasn't clicking that smaller button on the MB so that was what was going wrong. I was relying on the MB connecting automatically. Thanks!!!

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Thanks so much for your help. If you wouldn't mind posting a pic of which "connect" button you're clicking on the MB side of things, that would be great. I don't know if maybe I'm just looking at the wrong menu or what?!

And thanks so much again!

EDIT:
THANKS SO MUCH!!! I wasn't clicking that smaller button on the MB so that was what was going wrong. I was relying on the MB connecting automatically. Thanks!!!

No problem dude. Glad I could help.

brezz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Man, I'm so frustrated. Nothing I do works, it's just a dead connection. Thanks so much for looking into this, it's just not working for me. I wonder if it matters how tethering was enabled (since there a couple of ways to do it)? I'm going to keep hunting.

Brian

Slayerboym88

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
This will definitely come in handy starting tomorrow for me. I am house sitting for my boss and don't have his WiFi password (which is one of those impossible to guess alpha-numeric mumbo-jumbo BS passwords). Thanks again.

I will have to remind myself though that I am on the tether so that I don't over do it and tip off AT&T (not that I really expect them to catch on anyway).

That said, I don't know if this feels as quick as even the USB plug connection was. Also, I feel like this is a major battery drain. Certainly good for an emergency situation, but thinking it over, I don't know if I will rely on this set up to be my primary set up (after Wi-Fi of course) for my Macbook. I am thinking if I can't get it on my iPhone itself, I will use the USB first before BT.

Either way, one more time, thanks to Watabou for the help!

PS: Brezz, did Watabou's tips help you too? EDIT: Guess not. Sorry to hear.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Man, I'm so frustrated. Nothing I do works, it's just a dead connection. Thanks so much for looking into this, it's just not working for me. I wonder if it matters how tethering was enabled (since there a couple of ways to do it)? I'm going to keep hunting.

Brian

I don't think it matters because weren't they all the same file but just different ways to install them?

Maybe a step by step will help you:

1. Turn on Internet Tethering on your iPhone
2. Turn on Bluetooth on both iPhone and your mac.
3. Go to Bluetooth Assistant on your mac and when this:http://kttns.org/ogy4o window comes up, click on Mobile Phones and Click next.
4. You should see the iPhone in there.
5. Click next and it will display a passcode and you should see that same passcode on your iPhone too.
6. Click next if you do see that passcode on that iPhone.
7. Pairing is done.
8. Now all you do is turn off Airport and Go to Bluetooth System Preference pane and select the iPhone and click the gear and then click connect.
9. That should do the trick.

brezz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
I don't think it matters because weren't they all the same file but just different ways to install them?

3. Go to Bluetooth Assistant on your mac and when this:http://kttns.org/ogy4o window comes up, click on Mobile Phones and Click next.
5. Click next and it will display a passcode and you should see that same passcode on your iPhone too.
7. Pairing is done.
8. Now all you do is turn off Airport and Go to Bluetooth System Preference pane and select the iPhone and click the gear and then click connect.

So I don't know what happened, but literally as I was just about to give up I thought, "why don't I try and reboot the Mac" just to see if it did anything.

I'm typing this on a bluetooth tethered connection!

Thanks for all the help, this made my night. Now if only MMS were as easy as a quick reboot . . .

Brian

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
So I don't know what happened, but literally as I was just about to give up I thought, "why don't I try and reboot the Mac" just to see if it did anything.

I'm typing this on a bluetooth tethered connection!

Thanks for all the help, this made my night. Now if only MMS were as easy as a quick reboot . . .

Brian

Weird but cool beans now that you got it running! :)

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Now I have tethering, MMS, and Visual Voicemail working on the OS 3.0

Couldn't be happier

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL

7. Pairing is done.

I get up to 7. It refuses to pair. It fails everytime! USB tethering is working fine, but I can't pair to use bluetooth!

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
Got all the steps and blue screen showing tethering, but no internet. Why?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 248
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 244
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.