Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iainmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Not necessarily an iOS 11 beta questions because I think iPhones have always done this, but why does Bluetooth keep switching itself on.
? You switch it off, turn your back, and the little tinker has turned it back on.
I'm presuming it must be something to do with connections for advertising alerts.
Anyone know?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Not necessarily an iOS 11 beta questions because I think iPhones have always done this, but why does Bluetooth keep switching itself on.
? You switch it off, turn your back, and the little tinker has turned it back on.
I'm presuming it must be something to do with connections for advertising alerts.
Anyone know?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wifi-bluetooth-in-control-center.2052840/

Bluetooth has never switched itself back on in iOS and still doesn’t. If you want to turn it off completely in iOS 11 you can do so in Settings and it will remain off.

strategicthinke

Suspended
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
You should not turn your Bluetooth off. It’s negilgible on the battery life with lots of downturns in regards to the integration of the Apple ecossystem. All Apples is doing is forcing you to use it correctly.
:)

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
Bluetooth is used in many of the Handoff and Continuity features. Leaving it on caues negligible battery drain; takes maybe 1-3% of battery over the course of the day. If you read Apple support pages, they never recommend turning Bluetooth or WiFi off to save battery. If you find yourself with low battery or know you will be without power for an extended period of time, why not just enable low power mode?

nikelos

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
My BT icon in status bar is always bold (it was a sign of active transmission in ios 10). Should it be always bold now in ios 11 b5 or its a bug?

Reactions: xxray

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Bluetooth is used in many of the Handoff and Continuity features. Leaving it on caues negligible battery drain; takes maybe 1-3% of battery over the course of the day. If you read Apple support pages, they never recommend turning Bluetooth or WiFi off to save battery. If you find yourself with low battery or know you will be without power for an extended period of time, why not just enable low power mode?

Excellent detailed answer!

In addition to iPhone 6 Clio medianav tech calls and music.

Never ever thought of switching off Bluetooth.

Features are used every day, almost necessarily

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
of course, you can leave it off (as i do), if you choose NOT to use handoff or continuity... and (rarely) connect to a bluetooth device...

Almost forgot to mention TTF+Prodigy via you tube from either chosen mac device -direct Bluetooth to Sony 4K t.v.

Only decision I have to make is what do I do with Pioeneer Bluetooth car stereo left at home since my 2011 Clio in effect went to heaven unexpectedly.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
My BT icon in status bar is always bold (it was a sign of active transmission in ios 10). Should it be always bold now in ios 11 b5 or its a bug?

I noticed this on my SE and I submitted feedback to Apple via the app. Haven't heard anything back from them, but I presume it's still happening with PB 4? (I reverted my SE back to iOS 10).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.