Bluetooth Pen, Looks Interesting.....

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by chrsb, Sep 5, 2011.

1. chrsb macrumors member

chrsb

2. henchman macrumors 6502a

3. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

4. chrsb thread starter macrumors member

chrsb

From what I have read they are awaiting apple approval and are beta testing some of the pens.

5. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Not bad. I'm guessing their app is programed for only the pen to make the marks on the page and not the hand. That is a serious advantage in note taking. It doesn't show the pen being used for any other app, so I can only guess it won't work. That is a serious disadvantage.

6. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

You're right about the disadvantage of a single app. On the other hand, this approach has a HUGE advantage for southpaws who, like me, tend to rest the side of the hand on the writing surface. For us, the "wrist pad" (blocking input on the bottom of the screen) provided by note taking apps is useless.

It's no great feat to use the iPad's screen to write HUGE letters an inch or two tall. What is difficult is to write small letters in a traditional note taking style. I'm impressed.

7. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

Of course, with an IR sensor like this one, you have to be careful not to get your hand or fingers between the pen tip and the receiver plugged into the dock connector.

8. ctbear macrumors 6502a

That is my greatest complaint for all the note taking apps out there...I don't care how well it spits out the ink or how many features it has...I want to have a usable wrist pad!

9. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I'm afraid it's just another example of the narrow vision of northpaw designers. Much like the school desks with the arm rest on the wrong side, the backwards scissors, and on and on. Only Ned Flanders knows my pain.

10. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I think im still better off with a pad and a pen, the Wacom Intuos...

11. ABCDEFGHIJKLMAO macrumors member

What is the point of having bluetooth pen for your ipad?
    There are so many stylus that you can use without draining your ipad's battery.

12. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

The "point" (pardon the pun) is that the iPad's capacitive screen is great for finger painting and not nearly so suitable for note taking.

13. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I am southpaw also, and I can definitely see this as a great piece of hardware for note taking, but I am artistic. I use sketchbook with a stylus with a rounded rubber tip on the end. Rounded tips are not good to use for detail.

14. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

You might want to take a look at the jot from Adonit or the iFaraday "artist" model (http://www.ifaraday.com/store.html) The former has gotten very good reviews from the few people who've received them so far. I have the latter and while it doesn't magically improve my artistic ability, it works very well.

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Watch the videos. This is a completely different beast from a capacitive stylii. It has a real tip that can be tracked with remarkable precision.