Bluetooth Periphs Keep Losing Connection

Cameron500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Tulsa
I have a new Mini I7 with a 256 ssd and 8gb of RAM. My first gen magic keyboard and trackpad keep intermittently losing their bluetooth connection. I had no issues with my previous Mini. I have 32gb of RAM on the way. Does anyone know if the RAM upgrade would resolve this?

Cameron500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Tulsa
Thank you, I don't have a USB hub connected but a game controller and Flash Drive. I'll try that and monitor the situation.

dmsea1

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2018
My new MM i7 - 16GB - I have old iMac keyboard, Magic Mouse 1st gen, brand new Trackpad 2 and Harmon Kardon BT Speaker. I have had no issues at all with BT connections. My speaker connects now automatically without any fuss. I have had a couple of instances where my mouse was acting a bit slow and non-responsive, I turned it off and back on, problem gone. Overall no issues with BT on my setup.

F-Train

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
I started getting an intermittent connection with my Trackpad today around about the same time that I got a pop-up saying that the trackpad batteries were low. The batteries were at 14%. They're now at 13% and the problem seems to have stopped, at least for now. Just from memory, 14% strikes me as a bit early for the Trackpad connection to start acting up. I think that I normally change out the batteries quite a bit lower.

No problem at all with my wireless keyboard, which I know is close to a full charge.

Last edited:

dmsea1

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2018
I started getting an intermittent connection with my Trackpad today around about the same time that I got a pop-up saying that the trackpad batteries were low. The batteries were at 14%. They're now at 13% and the problem seems to have stopped, at least for now. Just from memory, 14% strikes me as a bit early for the Trackpad connection to start acting up. I think that I normally change out the batteries quite a bit lower.

No problem at all with my wireless keyboard, which I know is close to a full charge.
My Magic Mouse is getting old and showing some age, likely replace here soon, it is the only BT device giving me any issues, and that is still minimal. My new Trackpad works great, haven't lost connection even once since it was first connected out of the box.

Cameron500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Tulsa
I removed all USB devices including a flash drive stick (128gb). I upgraded the RAM on the machine to 32gb and didn't seem to have the issue until I plugged the flash drive back in. After removing it again it seems to have resolved.