Bluetooth: power usage and security

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lorenzo F, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Lorenzo F macrumors member

How many of you leave on the Bluetooth on your iPhone all the time? I am very curious about how much power Bluetooth uses. I did some light research and read that Bluetooth LE (low energy) uses very little power, but I am unsure how to quantify that in terms of real life use.

Other questions: if the Bluetooth icon is visible in the menu bar at top, does it use the same amount of power whether it is grayed out or black? And how easy is it for someone to hack your device when Bluetooth is on?

If it's not obvious, I'm asking all these questions because I'm wondering if I should only turn on Bluetooth when I need it. With some iOS features like Continuity and Airdrop, however, I feel inclined to leave Bluetooth on all the time.

thanks in advance all!

2. Ryxmd macrumors regular

I leave my bluetooth on all the time. My headphones when I commute to work are bluetooth and when I drive, I use bluetooth.

Been doing this since the first iPhone. Don't really notice a change in battery life.

3. Lorenzo F thread starter macrumors member

Ryxmd, interesting that you've been leaving your Bluetooth on since you got the original iPhone, and you haven't noticed a change in battery life. I read that Bluetooth LE wasn't in iPhones until the 4S, so if you didn't notice a change with battery life prior to the 4S then perhaps leaving Bluetooth on with any current models really isn't going to have an impact on battery life.

Anyone else?

4. Ryxmd macrumors regular

I guess it's also because I never had the phone without bluetooth not being on.