bluetooth printer for leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JohnH555, Dec 17, 2008.

1. JohnH555 macrumors newbie

I have a new Macbook Pro with a built in bluetooth transceiver. I want to use it to connect a printer. It is a more difficult technique than it seems.

I have gotten a certain way into the problem. I downloaded and installed a CUPS driver for my HP printer from the linux openprinting site. I tested and proved the driver installation by printing over a USB cable.

I am stalled short of actually printing anything over a bluetooth link. The printer adapter is a Belkin, and the Mac recognizes it, and sees through it to the printer. But it cannot print. (The printer image bounces up and down, and the Mac insists the printer is "off line". In fact the printer is on-line.)

In other words, close, but no cigar.

I am happy to switch adapters if there is one more compatible with the Mac bluetooth.

Apple support does not have a list of printers -- nor can they name any printer or bluetooth printer adapter -- that has been demonstrated to work.

Another option might be to disable the built-in bluetooth and use a dongle instead.

Has anyone been down this bluetooth printer path? I would welcome your insights on which adapter and printer actually worked.

Many thanks,

John Harris

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

john, one of the contributors on Apple Discussions (PaHu) has bluetooth printing working. (I think) Try posting there. He usually specializes in Canon printers.

3. JohnH555 thread starter macrumors newbie