Bluetooth question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FatMax, Jan 27, 2015.

1. FatMax, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015

FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

I have a iPhone 6. I'm sitting at the airport surfing at the moment when I just noticed Bluetooth was connected to something.

I went into settings and it said some random persons MacBook Pro was connected!

How could this happen? Why? I realise Apple's Bluetooth implementation is kinda limited, but I thought it would be more secure than this! Internet sharing was turned off.

2. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

AFAIK, a device attempting to make a Bluetooth connection will trigger your device to say that 1 person is connected. This often happens to me at places like airports, as in your case.

People just hop from network to network trying to find some free signal, and sometimes I believe they will just keep their device connected by accident to your network, causing your device to read that 1 person is connected.

Often when I use Personal Hotspot on verizon when I'm tethering to my laptop, someone else will connect to my connection. It'll let me know that 2 devices are connected up top. Unsuccessfully because of the password, but they still try.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

While your BT might "discover" another BT signal it should not connect with out your approval. I tend to keep BT off unless I am using it. I am very wary of BT and WiFi connections in public. I would never do any sensitive things like banking or anything you had to type a password as all of what you do can be intercepted.