Bluetooth question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JustOneQuickONe, Feb 3, 2009.

1. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

This isn't directly related to macbooks but if I want to use the bluetooth built into my computer to connect to my non bluetooth printer can I buy any USB bluetooth dongle to plug into the printer ( Kodak all in one 5300) or do I need some specific kind? All the ones I look at don't mention anything about printers just connection between computers and phones.
    TIA :)

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

You'd need two things to be able to do that. First, your printer must be Bluetooth ready (ie, designed to work with a Bluetooth dongle if it does not have it built in); and two, it has to be designed to work with general dongles and not a specific one.

I myself have an Epson Photo Stylus RX595 Multi-Function Printer, and while being Bluetooth ready, will not work with any BT dongle other than the one that Epson makes specifically for their own printers (I've tried it with a BT dongle). This is because the device has to be designed to work with the dongle. Unlike computers, you can't install drivers on a printer, so if it does not support them you're SOL.

Just did a search on Kodak's site, this is the adapter you'd need:
    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=10605&pq-locale=en_US

If you look at the printer's features page, it says:
    BLUETOOTH® Wireless Technology enabled***
    *** Optional accessory required.

3. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

awesome, thanks for all the good info. I didn't even know where to start.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Anytime :) I'm just glad that my fruitless and frustrating efforts of trying to make Bluetooth work on my printer can finally be put to good use. You've just validated about a week's worth of my life haha :p

5. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502