Bluetooth quit working on new 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bearsloft, Jan 6, 2013.

1. bearsloft macrumors newbie

Took delivery on my 27" December 17th. Two days later my bluetooth mouse and track pad quit working. I have the wired keyboard as my wife and I prefer to have the number pad. I tried all the tricks I know. I fiddled with the bluetooth settings, rebooted, and tried turning the devices on and off. Finally I gave in and called tech support.

To my shock the CS agent immediately offered to send me a new machine and for me to return my iMac. I said I'd like to try a few more things before resorting to that, so he ran down the list. The only thing I had not tried was resetting the PRAM.

Here is the apple page on how to do it if you don't already know.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Long story short, it worked. He advised that if it happened again that I should then return the machine as it probably means that that the bluetooth hardware is bad. Well it's been 3 weeks and no other problems :)

Still I thought someone on here might find this to be helpful.

Bear

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

There have also been posts in the Mac Mini thread of interference problems with USB-3.0 cables and devices causing BlueTooth disconnects. If anyone is having a BlueTooth problem, you might try rearranging or disconnecting USB-3 devices to see if that helps.