Bluetooth Remotes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by haravikk, Jan 31, 2016.

1. haravikk macrumors 65816

So I'm setting up a Mac Mini as an HTPC, and eventually just settled on installing El Capitan and OpenPHT (open sourced Plex Home Theater) which turns out to be very easy to use.

The only problem is that I'm currently using a keyboard to access the system; I've tried using Android apps on my phone but I've been pretty disappointed by them so far, plus my phone isn't that great when it comes to WiFi (it doesn't seem to get along with my router).

Anyway, what I really want is a dedicated bluetooth remote for the system. OpenPHT can be navigated entirely using arrow keys, enter and escape, so I'm hoping to find something simple that can be configured to work in this way.

I've seen many remotes that are geared towards phones as well, but they seem to behave as a cursor when connected to a PC or Mac, which isn't really what I want. Anyone know of any good Bluetooth remotes that will work well to control Plex Home Theater? My Mac Mini doesn't have an IR port, but IR remotes that have their own receiver might be an option too.

2. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad with iOS Remote App - or iOS PLEX.

Or, alternatively, Logitech DiNovo Mini (which I used on my Mac Mini before I bought an iPhone).

3. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I thought all Mac Minis have an IR receiver for the Apple remote, but anyway the Apple TV Bluetooth remote should work. I'd suggest going some research on that.

4. sukidabe macrumors newbie

All minis have an ir sensor. Yours is on the right side of the dvd slot. Seeng your join date, you probably have/had a couple "Front Row" remotes.