Bluetooth removed from my Alu. Macbook...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scubasteve03, Aug 2, 2009.

1. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

I have been having this problem for the last few weeks. I have a 2.4 Alu. MB and recently while using an external monitor doing basic word processing/ web browsing my computer locks up and Bluetooth keeps getting removed from my system. The bluetooth keyboard was always in use during this lockup. I look under Sys. Prefs and and the icon is gone and I cannot use any Bluetooth Devices. It now says I don't have a Bluetooth Device on my computer under System Profiler. I saw on another thread and the solution was to reset the computer and hold down the power button for 10 seconds on the start up. This initially worked for me but now it's a no go.
    If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I work 70 hours a week and really don't have time to visit the genius bar. Does this sound like a logic board dying?
    Thanks for the help guys.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sounds like a hardware problem to me, not necessarily a logic board. Is the Bluetooth module integrated into the logic board on those machines? (General question, not expecting you to be able to answer.)

3. moral-hazard macrumors regular

Do you reboot your mac often? I would suggest rebooting it once a day or so and see if it still happens...

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That shouldn't be necessary. My computers regularly log over a month of uptime and have no such problems. It could be that rebooting will fix the problem temporarily, but something is still wrong.

5. moral-hazard macrumors regular

Just a thought. It's a long shot, but my guess was that some program (probably something you installed recently) was leaking memory (maybe only temporarily) and causing this issue. This happened on my blackberry - had to pull the battery because it kept releasing my bluetooth connections. Don't think its the case with the computer though, just though a reboot might be worth a try.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I have bluetooth on all the time on mine and almost hardly every reboot or shut down. Sounds like you need to call AppleCare asap.

7. JamesLJ macrumors newbie

JamesLJ

Had the same problem...

Hi, I guess this is sort of an out-dated post by now, but in case the original poster hasn't fixed the problem yet or someone else actually does a search instead of posting a new thread, I just had a call with Apple Support about this same problem. I was running my bluetooth mouse just fine, took a shower, came back, and all of a sudden I didn't have bluetooth anymore. Restarted, nothing happened except that bluetooth was even more gone (as in missing from system preferences and the menu bar, which previously said "bluetooth not available"). Anyway, the Apple tech had me reset my PRAM by shutting down completely, then booting up while holding command+option+P+R. Press the power button while holding those keys down, the computer will start up, chime, then flash, chime again, then flash, and chime again. After the third chime, release the keys. Log in as usual, and your bluetooth should be restored. Hope this helps someone!