Bluetooth replacement remote for ATV?

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I have a bunch of gripes with the Apple TV touch/siri remote, but #1 is the lack of "MUTE" functionality (the idiocy of this is worthy of a whole separate thread).

I know there are tons of infrared remotes that can solve this problem (I've used a Harmony for ages).

I'm looking for a BLUETOOTH-based replacement remote for the ATV functionality since I have to put a little extra effort into aiming the remote when using infrared... which is okay for the occasional jab at the mute button, but not for general use. I'm definitely not interested in IR/RF blaster type solutions to this problem.

The closest thing I've found is the SofaBaton U1 - however while it can be used as a bluetooth remote with the AppleTV and I can assign my receiver's (infrared) mute button to a spare button on the SofaBaton - it's a bit awkward (stupidly enough, the SofaBaton won't let it's "mute" button be assigned to a different device... in fact, a number of the buttons become non-functional and non-programmable when used as a bluetooth device).

So, any other bluetooth-based alternative remotes out there (and available in the US) that are designed for or can be used for the ATV?

TIA

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
If you like Harmony, their Elite line (hub + remote) uses RF (not IR) to communicate with the remote, and IP commands to communicate with the Apple TV over your network. Caavo does the same thing. You're not going to get better or more configurable than those solutions, but they're not cheap.

I think Harmony's new Express remote could work for you also. It has a hard mute button, but I don't know if the remote itself can send IR commands, so you might need to attach an IR blaster to your hub.

Last edited:
Reactions: ixxx69

HDFan

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
'm looking for a BLUETOOTH-based replacement remote for the ATV functionality since I have to put a little extra effort into aiming the remote when using infrared...
If you like Harmony, their Elite line (hub + remote) uses RF (not IR) to communicate with the remote, and IP commands to communicate with the Apple TV over your network.

Yep, Harmony remotes with hubs eliminate the need to point. Just started all of my devices with my Harmony Elite in a desk drawer.

Reactions: ixxx69