Bluetooth says sharing is off but it is on

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jaboc, Apr 19, 2009.

1. jaboc macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Just looking for a little help on this issue.

When trying to connect to another bluetooth device (a macbook pro) I get the following message in the bottom of the 'select bluetooth device' window:

"To use the service on this computer, turn on Bluetooth Sharing in its Sharing preferences"

So I go to the 'Sharing' preferences pane and Bluetooth Sharing is already check marked and says it is on.

I try again and I get the same message.

I have tried checking and re-checking the box as well as a repair disk permission, but neither worked.

Any ideas?

For reference I am on a unibody macbook pro 2.53Ghz with OSX 10.5.6 installed.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Well you also have to turn on Bluetooth itself. Click on "Bluetooth Preferences" at the bottom of the Bluetooth Sharing Preferences and check "on".

3. jaboc thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya, it has been on the whole time as well. And discoverable if that makes any difference.

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Ok.
    Is there a specific reason why you want to use Bluetooth? You could also just use WiFi to connect, if the medium is not important.

5. jaboc thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not vitally important. i have a lot of other ways to transfer files and the such, but I would like to get it working so I have that option.

My bluetooth does work for connecting peripherals, for example my bluetooth keyboard. It is only file sharing that is the problem.