Bluetooth Scanner Connection?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 4DThinker, Mar 16, 2008.

1. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I've got a Canon MP600 multifunction printer/scanner/copier connected to my aluminum 20" iMac via bluetooth. Printing works fine. Copying works fine since it doesn't need a PC. Scanning is giving me some grief. I have all the drivers, and the scanner works fine if the MP600 is plugged in using a USB cable. Because I share this printer via a wifi print server to other PCs in the house, I'd rather use the bluetooth connection for the iMac, and am hoping someone here knows how.

So, is anyone using bluetooth with a scanner? Any scanner? If so, can you tell me what you had to do to get it working? I can't find any option in System Preferences for scanners. On my PC I can just find the scanner in control panel and change the port it is using.

All help greatly appreciated!

4D

2. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

Anyone? I'm determined to figure this out. Doesn't look promising, though, as all info I can find about bluetooth doesn't list scanners in any way. Perhaps the bandwidth needed isn't enough to make bluetooth worthwhile.

I'm still hoping, though. Anyone?

4D

3. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I have the MP610 and when I looked at adding Bluetooth to it if I remember it said you could not scan over bluetooth so I didn't purchase it.

4. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, jvette. BTW, I didn't buy the Canon bluetooth adapter. I just stuck in a cheap USB bluetooth adapter I'd bought for $3 at a garage sale down the street. Printing works. The manual for my MP600 doesn't say anything about not scanning, but if yours does it's probably a fact. Still hoping.

4D

5. heyavanalche macrumors newbie

it just so happened that around the time i'm planning my first dslr purchase, i bought a canon printer/scanner, to scan wirelessly with bluetooth. i'd been looking at nikons, canons, and sonys. and many friends, including someone who's made canon ads, had recommended canon. so i was very close to getting a rebel. i bought the printer and i was so excited, because i had been drawing a lot of pictures that i intended to scan and had planned to buy the device a few days in advance. i got it home and discovered that there was no bluetooth functionality whatsoever, unless you bought an adapter, which canon sells for over $100. i bought an adapter. plugged it in. and could not scan. i've never been ripped off like this before. the website said "bluetooth", the box said "bluetooth", but there is no bluetooth, not even with an adapter which is sold seperately. i'll be returning everything and getting a wi-fi printer for less. and i'll forget about buying a canon dlsr.