Bluetooth speakers / AirPlay question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by matttye, Dec 28, 2011.

1. matttye macrumors 601

On my iPad, when I connect it to my new Bluetooth speaker, the speaker shows up under an "AirPlay" menu within the music app. Does this mean my speaker is actually AirPlay enabled or does it just list every Bluetooth speaker under the menu?

As far as I know the speaker only supports Bluetooth and not AirPlay.

2. classicalbear macrumors member

Airplay = Bluetooth.

Airplay uses Bluetooth to work, not wifi.

3. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

No, Airplay uses WiFi. There has been talk of integrating bluetooth and Airplay but nothing is even close to happening yet.

That menu in the music app shows all possible audio outputs, including Airplay, bluetooth and built in audio.

4. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Airplay does not equal Bluetooth. Wow.

To the OP: That is the way some BT speakers are designed. Instead of capturing the audio stream as if you had physically plugged in the speakers it uses the Airplay interface instead.

Considering bluetooth speakers are generally less expensive than Airplay speakers (which would normally use WiFi) I would consider it a good thing that you can access your bluetooth speaker via Airplay.

Michael

5. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

No. AirPlay uses wifi.

Thanks. The menu title is slightly misleading!

----------

Yeah I wasn't complaining :p these speakers were about a third of the price of all the airplay speakers I looked at. What i was asking is if this means that my speakers are actually AirPlay enabled or whether they are indeed just Bluetooth.

6. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

No just Bluetooth.

What model is it?

Michael

7. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

Creative D200. It doesn't say AirPlay in the specs, I just wondered because they're listed in the airplay menu on the iPad.