Bluetooth speakers for Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mauka, Mar 26, 2015.

1. mauka macrumors member

mauka

Anyone using Bluetooth speakers with their Mac Mini instead of a wired set?

Just sold my 2010 iMac and it's built in speakers were fine for my needs. With the Mini I'd like to try a small Bluetooth wireless setup that would power up and connect to the computer when needed. If they need to be "connected" when needed like some Bluetooth peripherals I've used - forget about it!

2. broadbean macrumors 6502a

Why not some USB powered speakers? You'd still need to charge your Bluetooth speakers some times.

3. mauka thread starter macrumors member

mauka

Thanks, that's true. My thought was Bluetooth speakers would have the option of placement anywhere in the room, without running signal wires. Some include an A/C adapter and could be left plugged in, eliminating the need to charge batteries.

4. jwhite4304 macrumors member

jwhite4304

I am using an Amazon Echo for speakers on my 2012 mac mini thru bluetooth and quite happy with the sound.

5. mauka thread starter macrumors member

mauka

Amazon Echo

Thanks for the reply - Amazon Echo - Cool.

Haven't heard or thought about that device since I declined the invite to buy.

Interesting, how do you like the voice commands and search features, and do they all work simultaneously with music?

Do have to be an Amazon Prime member for everything to work right?

6. jwhite4304 macrumors member

jwhite4304

Voice command works even when connected to mac mini. Music is fine and voice commands still work.

No you do not have to be Amazon Prime to use.

7. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Check out the Bose SoundLink Mini - an absolute tank that's gotten stellar reviews.

Best part for you I imagine would be the charge station - place that wherever you want that has an outlet and just set the Mini on it to charge (no annoying wires etc.)

8. mauka, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015

mauka thread starter macrumors member

mauka

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out. Also considering the Sony Portable Bluetooth Speaker SRSX3/C, Local Costco has them for $99 for a few more days - good reviews too.

I am also going to try the Sangean WR-2 radio (that I already have) through it's audio input, it sounds good and has digital tuning radio - gotta have my NPR!

9. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

I use Harman Kardon Onyx Studio. Love it.

[​IMG]

10. mauka, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015

mauka thread starter macrumors member

mauka

Going to give Bose a chance

After years of seeing and hearing Bose audio products, but never purchasing one, I decided to give this little box a try. I'll post my opinion in few days. For now all I can say is - it's a small box.

[​IMG]

11. mauka thread starter macrumors member

mauka

Nixed the Bose SoundLink Mini and went for Sonos Play1

When I was buying the Bose at Target, they also had Sonos speakers which I hadn't considered. Did some research and returned the unopened Bose Mini the next day and got a Sonos Play1.

Different animal, not Bluetooth, and not computer speakers, more like network speakers, but it sounds good and there are many options to explore, fun stuff!