Bluetooth Stereo -- Where?!? How?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Schmoyer, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Schmoyer macrumors newbie

"Stereo Bluetooth -- Connect compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones, car kits, or other accessories."

I was hoping someone could explain Stereo Bluetooth, as defined above in Apple's 3.0 description. I interpreted this as a new feature, not the same old, "I can connect my JawBone" from 1.0, 2.0, etc. I'd heard rumors around streaming iPod music from your iPhone to your JawBone... I'd hoped that was what "Bluetooth stereo headphones" implied. However, I have not seen this feature in the 3.0 download today. Any clarification?

Thanks!

2. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

The Bluetooth device needs to support the A2DP profile for bluetooth audio streaming to work with it.

So, you can forget about streaming music to your jawbone or other regular earpiece type headset.

3. Schmoyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that sucks... Appreciate the info. Any chance anyone knows what A2DP is and which devices typically posses such a profile?

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

There are many Bluetooth stereo headphones, ones from Motorla, Sony, etc. A2DP is a universal standard.

It would be really cool to use the iPhone wirelessly inside a car kit if it supports A2DP.

5. Dingaling macrumors newbie

That is what I thought too...!

I thought the bluetooth would work without cords and play over the car stereo..but haven't figured out yet how to get that feature to work with the factory installed bluetooth in our Toyota Tundra...it pairs just fine, but I thought you could get it to play your iPod etc...without having to "plug it in"...

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have a Jabra BT8040 that cost me $35 at Amazon and supports A2DP. It works great with the 3G S. I can't control the volume on the iPhone, but that's about the only drawback. Just look on the spec sheet for any bluetooth headset or headphones for "A2DP." If the device has it, it shouldn't be hard to find.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

First, this only works with the 3G S. It's the first iPhone with A2DP in the phone.

I don't know if the Tundra's Bluetooth has A2DP or not. I think most of the car stuff is geared toward wireless calling, like with all the bluetooth headsets. You'll probably have to find someone at the dealership who doesn't look confused when you say "A2DP" to find out what's up. If your iPhone pairs with your bluetooth gear in your car, you should see the bluetooth logo at the bottom right of the screen when playing from the iPod app if it supports A2DP. Yes, this is in addition to the logo at the top right.

8. rubdom macrumors member

Umm, I think this works with the 3G and the 3GS. It was enabled in 3.0 FW.

Of course not on the 2G :)

9. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

This is something that bothers me about the iPhone. I have a $29 Nokia at work and it supports a2dp, and sends custom ringtone through bluetooth to my Jawbone, yet the 3g iPhone does not. Instead I get to listen to some crappy beeping noise when the iPhone rings.