Bluetooth stylus for ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by karohan, Mar 12, 2012.

1. karohan macrumors 6502

I have heard of bluetooth styli coming out for the iPad. If they are bluetooth enabled does that mean they can have a fine tip (not the fat rubber tips) because you don't need the capacitative touch?

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Search forums for the Cregle iPen or the Adonit Jot Touch. The Adonit is Bluetooth.

Neither works with all apps out there, however.

3. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply. I'm already aware of both of those, but the iPen uses a receiver for active tracking. I am looking into buying that, but I wanted to know if bluetooth could have the same level of precision without a separate receiver (hence my post). The Jot Touch had a precise tip but that isn't because of the bluetooth tech. The same tip exists in their non-bluetooth version, but I am not interested in it because I've heard things about it scratching the screen and being kind of loud.

I guess the optimal tip would be fine but hard rubber.

4. moxier macrumors regular

moxier

I just rec'd the iPen from Cregle ... you can view my thread concerning it... "iPen Due in Today"

5. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

I saw that review actually, thanks for doing that. How do you like it? Do you think the handwriting is considerably more accurate than using something like a Wacom Bamboo stylus? Also, is the writing too laggy to write decently quickly with?

6. moxier macrumors regular

moxier

After having it in hand now for a few hours I have learned that it writes rather well especially in cursive (since you don't lift the tip off of the screen as often as you do when you print).

I wanted a stylus that I could mimic a real pen or pencil and after using several stylus (the rubber tipped C types) the Cregle iPen is by far the winner in that arena.

There are some glitches with it... for one, the tracking should be tighter -- and it seems that when the pen is in the most upper or lower section of the screen the calibration is apparently off to some degree.

But as I continue to use it the better I am at controlling it.

7. peteo macrumors regular

I have the byzero studio 1 pen, which came out a few months before the iPen. It uses the same tech as the iPen (iPen is an OEM version of it)
    These 2 pens are way more accurate then the blue tooth ones comming out by adonit, ten one and jaja. All of those have capacitive tips, so they have the same problem as normal capacitive stylus, the iPad is designed for finger input and can not sense anything smaller than a finger.

Byzero and ipen get around this with ultra sound and infrared to trace where the pen is on the screen. It works fairly well but there are issues if you hold the pen at different angles then when you calibrated it. Also the sensor bar has issues with the pen when it gets near the bottom of the display and corners. But the more you use it the more you learn to work with these issues.
    I wish we had a pen with a 3d gyro scope, sensor bar this would help. None of these are as good as Wacom tablet since the sensor is the whole pad and knows the exactly were the pen is at all times.
    I wrote a review of the byzero pen on amazon were I give more info about the performance

8. DS3 macrumors 6502a

They better make replaceable tips for that capacitance one. Not buying an expensive pen where the tip and get ruined with use. The pressure sensitivity, extreme battery life and leaving the port free are appealing, but obviously a fine tip is huge.

Surely someone will release a Bluetooth 4.0 one with a fine tip and pressure sensitivity in the not too distant future, I think I'll probably just buy a jot pro in the meantime.

9. applefreakdance macrumors newbie

definitely waiting for some new stylus pen to come out!
    none of the one's in the current market actually does what it supposed to do.

10. redman042 macrumors 68020

All of the styli discussed here sound very interesting and I do want the best possible solution for taking handwritten notes on my iPad. But it sure sounds like waiting for gen 2 or 3 of this tech would be the best move. I don't want to take on a new set of issues.

I'll stick with my Bamboo Stylus for now, which is pretty good and works universally with all apps.