Bluetooth this time. FM next?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 4DThinker, Mar 20, 2009.

1. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The broadcom chip that will be activated for Bluetooth in the 2nd gen Touch also has FM radio on it that Apple has to this point ignored. They denied the bluetooth potential when it first came out but now it's showing up in 3.0 firmware. Does anyone want, or believe we'll get FM activated off that same chip at some future point?

Feel free to discusss, but keep the topic on FM radio please. RDS is also possible with that chip. The Zunes use RDS data to identify songs, then give you an option to buy any song you hear on the radio from their marketplace store.

2. Bozley0621 macrumors 6502

I'm a nerd and have a list in my notes app of what I want in the next ipod touch or the iphone before I buy one and FM is big on the list. I would LOVE that.

3. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Do you mean like retrieving FM stations or transmitting?

I think it would be a good idea for FM stations, and make it so you can see the RDS stuff, but that means a lot stations will have to be upgraded to something similar to Pandora.

4. Bozley0621 macrumors 6502

I mean receiving stations.....that would be a dream......I miss the good old days of radio. I listen to my ipod so much, i don't really know what's new that I like!

5. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes, I meant to receive FM radio broadcasts. Every other player I have, even the little Sansa Clip, has FM. Many even have the ability to record from FM. I suspect Apple fears no one will want to buy songs from iTunes if they can listen for free off the radio.

6. jw2002 macrumors 6502

I kind of doubt Apple would enable FM radio reception. I can see how it might be a nice convenience to have it, but I doubt that it would be a big draw. It's not like 90% of ipod owners are screaming about the lack of FM.

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah i don't think Apple is afraid of losing iTunes to the radio.

if there are 5-10 of your favorite stations in your area. i dare you to listen to each of them for 6 months. if you hear more then 10 or 15 songs on each station you let me know. haha

trust me at the shop, we have listened to Hot 107.9 Atlanta's Digital Rap Station. and Project 96.1 AND Star 94 for months at a time

i don't think i have heard a new song in the last year and a half :p