Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
I usually don't investigate new technology until I think I might need it. Therefore, please don't hurt yourself laughing when I ask this next question.

Is it possible to connect a Mac Mini 2012 Late, running Mt.Lion, to a TV or Computer Monitor using Bluetooth or WIFY?

I don't even know if computer monitors come with Bluetooth. When I Google, all I can get to come up are Baby monitors.

Patt

Nov 28, 2010
located
Bluetooth and WiFi are not fast enough to not experience a serious lag when using that wireless method to transfer a constant stream of visual data.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I usually don't investigate new technology until I think I might need it. Therefore, please don't hurt yourself laughing when I ask this next question.

Is it possible to connect a Mac Mini 2012 Late, running Mt.Lion, to a TV or Computer Monitor using Bluetooth or WIFY?

I don't even know if computer monitors come with Bluetooth. When I Google, all I can get to come up are Baby monitors.

Patt

I believe a component connection is the only possible wireless option. It is neither BT nor WIFi though. That is the yellow/red/white RCA connector type cable. It is not HD though. You can get a 2.4ghz wireless unit from most electronic shops. It is its own wireless connection. You could always try a HDMI to component to use this. A lot of possible config issues though. Plus you can get conflict with the wireless band because it s so widely used.

You can also run HDMI over an Ethernet cable over many metres if that helps your setup. It's obviously not wireless though.

Last edited:

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007

I'm not sure what your ultimate goal here is but if it is to, for example, use a mini on your TV but the mini is not close enough to easily have a cable going directly to the TV, AirPlay Mirroring is an option. If you get an Apple TV and connect it to your TV, you could then mirror the mini's display on the TV. This is how we watch TV shows, from stations' web sites, on our TV. It's good enough for watching a movie or something but I wouldn't use that as the primary way of using my computer.

Really though, direct connection is always best. We might be able to give you more options if you can tell us exactly what you're trying to accomplish. If it's a cable length issue, I use a 25' HDMI cable in my home theater and I know of others that make runs much longer using other technologies (e.g. HDMI over ethernet, component).

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I believe a component connection is the only possible wireless option. That is the yellow/red/white RCA connector type cable.

That's not component, that's composite and only the yellow one is video. The white and the red are audio. Component is red, blue, green, all video.

karpich1

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
Bluetooth? No

But there are Wireless HDMI adapters out there. Heck, I think Dell used to push them as accessories for their machines at one point.

I have no personal experience with them though, so I can't speak for the quality and/or lag. And you'll still need to plug a small receiver device into your TV so you'll need a spare hdmi port.

WiFi is more than adequate for 1080p so long as it's compressed, but I don't know many uncompressed sources. And if you're relying on it for sound and video then there shouldn't be any delay between visual and sound.

But as far as I Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth necessary. And it doesn't have any real options out there.

Also, as someone else suggested, an AppleTV apparently works well for this. And it goes wirelessly over the WiFi if you want. But the same with the Wireless HDMI you'll ultimately need to plug something into your TV.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
That's not component, that's composite and only the yellow one is video. The white and the red are audio. Component is red, blue, green, all video.

Yes I stand corrected, I always get those two mixed up.

Thanks. :)

Also another note for the OP, you always have AirPlay through ATV3 which might suit your needs. It is not designed to permanently replace a monitor and cable combo though.

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Bluetooth and WiFi are not fast enough to not experience a serious lag when using that wireless method to transfer a constant stream of visual data.

I think that answers my question, which is monitors will not work via bluetooth or Wifi, too much lag.

Honestly, I really didn't know if there even was such a thing. Of course it would be great to watch movies using a Mac Mini connected via wifi and watch the TV across the room without stringing a long cord. This is what laptops are for, of course.

----------

Google "wireless hdmi"

I just googled Wireless hdmi and there are many choices, all of which, are pricy. But, now I've learned another bit of information.

Thank you, Paulrbeer!

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
I believe a component connection is the only possible wireless option. It is neither BT nor WIFi though. That is the yellow/red/white RCA connector type cable. It is not HD though. You can get a 2.4ghz wireless unit from most electronic shops. It is its own wireless connection. You could always try a HDMI to component to use this. A lot of possible config issues though. Plus you can get conflict with the wireless band because it s so widely used.

You can also run HDMI over an Ethernet cable over many meters if that helps your setup. It's obviously not wireless though.

I believe I have a very long Component video YPbPr cable, now I need the Component video YPbPr/ VGA To HDMI Converter which is still another option. Not wireless, but for $43.20 and free shipping, good reviews on Amazon.

Thanks opinio!

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
I'm not sure what your ultimate goal here is but if it is to, for example, use a mini on your TV but the mini is not close enough to easily have a cable going directly to the TV, AirPlay Mirroring is an option. If you get an Apple TV and connect it to your TV, you could then mirror the mini's display on the TV. This is how we watch TV shows, from stations' web sites, on our TV. It's good enough for watching a movie or something but I wouldn't use that as the primary way of using my computer.

Really though, direct connection is always best. We might be able to give you more options if you can tell us exactly what you're trying to accomplish. If it's a cable length issue, I use a 25' HDMI cable in my home theater and I know of others that make runs much longer using other technologies (e.g. HDMI over ethernet, component).

Thanks mslide,

I really was on a educational search and thus somewhat vague in my question. When we were connected to a new company, the workman had a huge length of cord connecting the TV to the DVR, it was so ugly. I removed the cord and purchased a short htmi cord. Never was sure why it was done that way, but I believe the cord is the component RGB YPbPr. Or like you mentioned just string the HDMI cord and work the Mac Mini as though it was a laptop.

So many great ideas!

----------

Yep, fa8362, component not component, got it too.

Thanks

----------

Bluetooth? No

But there are Wireless HDMI adapters out there. Heck, I think Dell used to push them as accessories for their machines at one point.

I have no personal experience with them though, so I can't speak for the quality and/or lag. And you'll still need to plug a small receiver device into your TV so you'll need a spare hdmi port.

WiFi is more than adequate for 1080p so long as it's compressed, but I don't know many uncompressed sources. And if you're relying on it for sound and video then there shouldn't be any delay between visual and sound.

But as far as I Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth necessary. And it doesn't have any real options out there.

Also, as someone else suggested, an AppleTV apparently works well for this. And it goes wirelessly over the WiFi if you want. But the same with the Wireless HDMI you'll ultimately need to plug something into your TV.

Thank you, karpich1, You are kind to have taken the time to help me understand much better, since I was starting at zero.

----------

I connect one via USB, it is not the greatest but is OK.

Okay Fricotin,

It's taken me so long to answer all these great ideas, for that, I apologize. Didn't think anyone would take me seriously.

Not really sure what you, Fricotin, mean by "...connect by USB." We have a TV that has an option for PC, to show as a monitor, but not sure how to connect it. Are you also using the htmi cord and the USB for the monitor?

As I recall, when I tried it I didn't realize the htmi cord was a bit shaky on one end. Your idea has encouraged me to try again.

Thanks Everyone, such a treasure of knowledge!

Patt

MCass

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2017
NJ

Patt
At work I use apple tv to connect my Macbook to the TV for presentations. Not sure how good it performs for high level use but for training and meetings it works great. Its great because it connects wireless.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
At work I use apple tv to connect my Macbook to the TV for presentations. Not sure how good it performs for high level use but for training and meetings it works great. Its great because it connects wireless.
Actually, Apple TV was designed to stream video wirelessly from a Mac.

I think they both need to be on the same network subnet, but if you log into both with your Apple ID, the Apple TV will see your Mac's iTunes Library. The Apple TV's interface displays Movies, TV Shows and Music. I have the discontinued 3rd generation Apple TV, the feature works fine. Just use the Apple TV's remote control to select what you want to watch.

There are also Mac utilities like Beamer that will stream video that is optimized for high quality playback and supports Dolby 5.1.

I see little reason for a kludgy cable solution; all of this talk of component video cabling makes little sense since you still need to wire audio separately. Sure, if you can bury an HDMI cable, go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.