Bluetooth unavailable on Macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gadgetgirl85, Mar 8, 2008.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I turned on my macbook this morning to find my bluetooth mouse and keyboard not working and when I went to the bluetooth icon it says bluetooth not available?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Go to System Preference > Bluetooth (using the trackpad) and make sure Bluetooth is turned on.

3. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I've been seeing this lately on my 12" PB (about 3 years old). Rebooting fixes it. I think it's a sign of impending hardware failure (but I don't know that for sure).

4. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Considering I've had the macbook about a month, I sure hope its not hardware failure! But rebooting fixed it.

5. resjr67 macrumors newbie

USB Villain

Unplug your USB items and reboot. Discovered this on my G5, turns out some USB items cause the problem. If that works for you, plug them in one by one and reboot to find out which one makes it unavailable. Mine was caused by a Logitech Webcam. Hope this helps,

Riley

6. oticon6 macrumors regular

$2 USB hub from eBay caused this on my friend's MacBook.

7. Guitarfool5931 macrumors newbie

I've had this happening on my laptop prob since I installed the last update. I took Bluetooth off of my available networks and that seemed to help a bit it still goes off often. It's VERY annoying. Any other causes to this??

OS X 10.5.7

8. wnorris macrumors member

wnorris

Since 10.5.7 my BT mouse had periodically been dropping out. I actually bought a brand new Logitech mouse before I found this script basically reboots the BT software in the OS. Now I have two fully functional BT mouse. :eek:

Run the following script inside terminal and give the device another try...

sudo killall -HUP blued