Bluetooth usage meter?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nermal, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I sometimes tether my phone and use it to go online. I'm not on a data plan so I pay 10c per MB and would like to be able to track my usage. Is there some sort of tool or meter that can show my data usage over Bluetooth?

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

if you open activity monitor (in the utilities folder) and go to the network tab you will see the total amount of data sent and received since you booted your machine. this isn't specific to bluetooth but it will show you how much total internet traffic you have used.

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is there a way to reset that, short of rebooting? Also, is it always in GB or will it change to a smaller unit when reset (GB isn't very useful when I'm trying to measure in MB)?

4. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

there is probably a way to reset it from the command line but i don't know how. and yes it will measure in mb until it reaches a gig.

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I found that the app "MenuMeters" can show a total of the usage. Problem solved! :D

6. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

menumeters shows you the same exact information, they derive the data from the same unix command.

7. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The MenuMeters data is filtered by interface (in this case Bluetooth), for just that session. Contrast that with Activity Monitor which shows everything since the last reboot.

I'm aware that MM must be getting the data from somewhere in the system, but since I don't know where it comes from then MM will do fine :)

8. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

thank you, i wasn't aware that it did that, i don't tether my phone but if i did that would be very useful for me.